Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Disconnects Every So Often! :(

• Please log in to reply

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Please help.

My internet disconnects itself every so often, average about once or twice an hour. I have tried everything. My home has about three computers and one printer, all connected to a D-Link 624. Ever since we renewed the service I've been having problems.

When the internet connection disconnects, the two computers on top of each other on the taskbar has a big red "X" on it. After a while it reconnects. (I am running Windows XP). This causes my instant messaging programs to disconnect, and the occational MMPORG game, which is a nuissance.

I know it cannot be my networking card, because I switched to a different card. It also cannot be the computer's problem, because the other computers in the house also disconnect at the same time.

It is most likely the router's problem, because even if the DSL modem isn't working, the two computers on top of each other are still connected.

I have read other posts (even though they didn't help) and they have requested additional information, so here goes: DSL connection, SBC Yahoo, Antivirus software is McAfee Internet Security.

Thanks in advance! :whistling: :blink:

-Jonathan.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You say you have tried everything. What exactly does everything cover? Have you tried resetting the modem and router? I want you to turn all the computers off. Once done, unplug both the router and modem for 30 seconds. Once that time has passed, plug back in the router first, and leave it for about 15 seconds. Now plug in the modem and leave that for about 15 seconds. Next, check your ready lights. Do they all show properly? (Check your manual for specific lights, it depends on your model of router/modem) Next turn the computers back on. Let us know if this continues to be an issue. Sometimes the modem and router just need to refresh.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
When you say all the computers, would it be fine if they were just on standby? Does this require a restart? I only ask because my neice locks her room's door when she goes to school, and I don't have access to that computer--She always put the computer on standby. Though I COULD ask her, it would be alot of trouble.

Once I recieve your answer, I will do as you say. Thanks, Stormknight!

-Johnathan

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
To be honest, you could leave them on and not have any trouble, but I just feel better if I turn it all off. Just do it without her computer being off, it'll be fine.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks. I'll just ask her to turn it off (though she might throw a fit) and I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for your speedy reply, Stormnight!

I'll keep you posted.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's no problem keep us posted. Also, like I said, she doesn't HAVE to turn it off, I just fell better doing it lol Plus it's good for the computer to restart every once in a while.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Alrights! I tried what you said to do, and so far no disconnects. This is no guarantee that it worked, but its a good step. If I have no disconnects for three whole days, THANK YOU VERY MUCH STORMKNIGHT! :whistling:

I will keep you posted as usual.

Thank you again,
Johnathan

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem. This is a very common issue which most people face. I even find myself doing that every once in a while. Good luck :whistling:

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So far, no disconnects.

I also adjusted to the TCIP packets or whatever with a program that boosts DSL speed. Would this affect my connection?

EDIT: Thanks!

-Johnathan

EDIT: When I come back from the beach, I expect no disconnections. Thanks again!

Edited by aznjockboiX, 10 September 2006 - 01:36 PM.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Back. Not one single disconnect since I have left. I belive this problem is resolved. Thank you, Stormknight.

I will keep you posted.

-Johnathan

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Very good. If it ever happens again, reset once more. This will 90% of the time fix the issue.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I believe my internet problem is fixed. However, there really is no way to be sure. Should I start a new post, or do you want me to PM you or AIM you?

Thanks a whole bunch,
Jonathan

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you are able to find this topic again, that would be the place to post, this way we know your background :whistling:

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
But won't the administrator close the thread?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I don't think so. If for some reason the thread is closed or you cannot locate it, just post a new topic, and describe that we helped you before. We usually remember :whistling: