Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Bzymom

Bzymom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have not been able to see my icons or start menu on my desktop when my computer starts. I have done everything possible to get this to work and nothing. When I reboot the computer the desktop shows my icons and start menu for about a second, then the screen blinks and all that is there is my background. Pease help.

thanks

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since you need help with windows xp, I will move your thread to the Windows XP forum rather than Comments and Suggestions.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Right click on your desktop and make sure "show my desktop icons" is ticked.
Johanna

Bzymom

Bzymom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried that and nothing happens when I right-click the mouse.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
hm.. open up your task manager and see if explorer.exe is loaded.

Bzymom

Bzymom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went to task manager and typed in explorer.exe and clicked ok and nothing happened.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
if you see explorer.exe in the process list then it's some other issue.

if not, go to file-->run and then type in explorer.exe and click run.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Would it be possible to do a system restore to a date before this problem? Data files would not be in jeopardy. If you go into the Control Panel, can you get into the "Display" dialog? (It's the same one as the right click>properties on the desktop) If you can restore your old theme from the drop down menu, you should be fine. If you have an Win Key on your keyboard, what happens when you press it alone? What happens when you press Winkey and e ? You should see a filetree (Windows Explorer) and if you click on "desktop" your icons will be listed there. If they are not listed, I'd like to know.
Johanna

Bzymom

Bzymom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Already did a system restore and still no icons or start menu task bar. When I press the WINDOWS key alone, nothing happens. Nothing happens when I press the WINDOWS key and e.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you logged in on an administrator account? Do you know how to access the real admin account? (In XP Home you have to do it in safe mode)
Johanna