Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drives gone

• Please log in to reply

pastordonald

pastordonald

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
my daughter downloaded an ipod program and since the cd drives (both) do not work.

at first they caused the dreaded blue screen! then i went into safe mode and disabled them. the blue screen went away and i was able to boot windows 2000 but still cannot get the cd drives to work. there is power but was unable to get them functioning.

so i thought i would uninstall them both which i did in device manager. after rebooting, the drives do not run during bootup and do not appear on the device manager. i can't find them anywhere nor figure out how to reinstall them. everything i read online says that they should automatically reinstall at boot up. i have since also removed the "upper limit" under regedit per the microsoft site.

help! thanks in advance!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. First, I hope you got rid of the offending ipod program. You said you "disabled" the drives in safe mode? I presume you mean you did that by going into the device manager?
You uninstalled them but windows 2k did not detect them on boot up? Have you checked the cable connections (power and EIDE)? You could try running the cd gone patch at http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

pastordonald

pastordonald

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for responding Austin!

I have tried the cdgone patch but still no luck! Any other suggestions???