Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icon's

• Please log in to reply

predrol

predrol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
An icon on my desktop showed up 4 months ago when adding multiple ATI desktop shortcuts. This one does not work! Four of them work and are marked as shortcuts as they should be. The one I want to get rid of is white with a file folder on it instead of the red ATI logo. When I right click on the icon it says 0 bytes and I am unable to delete it, rename it or anything else I could think of. There is only one thing I can do with this apparently non exsisting file and that is open it with Windows Media Center. I can't get it to use this program every time I open it automaticly though, nor can I change the appearance of the icon. I've tried some risky registry editing and am afraid to go any further until I talk to other better informed users.

Can you help me. My operating system is Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Other than just anoying me this icon dosn't seem to be a problem. :whistling:

When I do try and delte this icon I get the following error message.

Error Deleting File or Folder- Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk

Edited by predrol, 09 September 2006 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Predrol
There is a link in my signature for such things
Cheers
Peterm

predrol

predrol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What do you mean there is a link in my signature for such things?

Edited by predrol, 09 September 2006 - 09:55 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
When you look at my name etc across to the right of australia it has
Registry backup toolbars trnd micro etc. 1 of these is delete unused icons
click on that.

predrol

predrol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks alot I found it before I even got your reply.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If that program doesn't do the trick, might want to try rmoving the offending icon in safe mode.
Johanna