Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home networking

• Please log in to reply

jemoto

jemoto

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wonder if soemeone can assist me:

I have 1 laptop and 3 desktops in a home network, partly wired and partly wireless. With those 4 computers everything is working fine, but I' trying to join another laptop to the network I cannot connect. All pcs are windows xp, some pro and some home. On the laptop I can connect to the wireless connection and access internet, but not join the the workgroup. The icon for wireless network connection shows "not connected" now, but before it was connected. Ther only thing that happened in between was that I tried to repair the connection.

I have tried "everything", ie. follow the wizards, your tutorial, had an "expert" over to look at it.

You guys are my last hope.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jemoto

jemoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
To add to the previous post: the laptop is now fully connected to the network, ie. it has received ip address from my router, etc. The laptop was inhereted from my work and used to be part of a domain, could that somehow be an issue?

Appreciate any help.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Domains cannot join workgroups. Look here.

jemoto

jemoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

When I check computer name, the laptop is no longe part of a domain, only the correct workgroup. I just thought there might be some other leftover settings from it's time as a work computer.

jemoto

jemoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
As reference enclosed is an image of the error message I get when I try to access the workgroup. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• networking.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Have you also tried to connect to the shared folder this way:

Click start, Run, and in the open box type in:

\\Computer Name\File path

and then click the Ok button

Post any error messages you get

NOTE*****
Make sure the name of the computer is the exact name and that the spelling is correct (which can be found by right-clicking on the MY Computer icon and selecting Properties --> then clicking on the Computer name tab --> the computers name is located to the right of Full computer name.)

Make sure you are using the corect punctuation meaning the path is (\) and not (/), actual file path can be obtained by right clicking on START and selecting explore, navigate to the folder you wanting to share then copy the location from the address bar.

jemoto

jemoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks SpaceCowboy. Tried that and the enclosed is what I got.

Attached Thumbnails

• networking2.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
That error means the path you entered is not right.

\\Nadine\c:\MyDocs

Lets try it yet again a third way...
:whistling:

Right Click on Start and select Explore
When the Start menu window opens click on Tools at the very top and then select Map Network Drive
When the Map Network drive window appears Under Drive Select "D"
Under folder click the Browse Button
Navigate to the Shared folder and click the Ok button
Let me know if you get any errors here, or if the pc just sits, and sits, and dopes nothing.

One more Thing

Back in post number 5 on your screenshot your share location under My Network Places, Entire Network, and Microsoft Windows Network, your group name is Mshome.... did you name your workgroup this when you ran the network setup wizard from my Tutorial, or did you name it something else.

The reason I'm asking is that Mshome is the default name given to a workgroup when you are trying to use simple file sharing without running the network setup wizard.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 11 September 2006 - 11:44 AM.

jemoto

jemoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
SpaceCowboy,

Yes I named the network (or let it stay) MSHOME. It works fine with 5 other pcs both xp home and pro, wired and wireless, laptop and desktop.

I did as you suggested meaning mapping the Shared Folder to a letter (D and E are busy), but when I try I can't even see the laptop I am on (shouldn't I see it?), and trying to map to any of the other computers yields no response. Pls. see thumbnail.

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Please do an IPCONFIG /ALL for the problematic computer and then follow with one from each other computer and post them back here.

BE SURE TO COVER UP "DNS SERVERS" IN THE POSTS AS WE DONT NEED THEM AND YOU DONT WANT TO GIVE OUT YOUR ROUTE.

Post them in a screenshot and not Power Point, there could be something nasty lurking in there. :whistling: