Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Net connection failing after a few minutes uptime

• Please log in to reply

Kruegerrands

Kruegerrands

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last week, my dsl provider had some sort of problem with their service and my net connection had problems. My problems continued, however, long after the dsl providers had fixed whatever it was that failed THEM. After a while it appeared to me as if the connection failed everytime I opened either Bitspirit or DC++.

Now, the dsl company say that they've done nothing in the past week. As far as I can tell, I've not done anything either.

What happens is this: I start out fine, I can browse for hours. The net connection dies without reason if I open a filesharing program. In which case, if I rightclick on the connection and click "repair", it tells me that "IP address being renewed" and then "The following failed: new IP address. Contact your administrator if the problem continues".

Which would be the dsl company. According to which it must be a local problem because everything looked fine from their end.

I'm on SP2. But it's been months since I updated and I haven't noticed anything weird. I've updated drivers and anything I could think of.
So far I've ran Adaware, Spybot, an updated Norton, CWSshredder, the Winsock thing- everything that was listed in the FAQ post. But nothing's been found.

What specs, etc, do you need?

Advertisements

Kruegerrands

Kruegerrands

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing new was installed the week the problems started, by the way.

Kruegerrands

Kruegerrands

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
On M Payne's suggestion: it seems as if it works when Norton's Autoprotect is turned off. I haven't changed any settings though, before the problems started. The Win XP firewall is down, as well (which didn't solve the problem). I have been up for about 1,5 hours so far, and been runnning both DC++ and a BitTorrent client (Azureus).