Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well that's what i thought. Anyway I'm in the process of formatting my hard drive and living with the fact that I've lost my programs. Ah well. I bought an external hard drive so I can back everything up and not have to worry about this happening again.

Cheers for all of the help guys. Top service as always.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would not backup to an external drive. Last year i backed up 40 gigs of Mp3's amd 4 gigs of programs to a external drive. foolishly i loaned the drive to a friend who wanted to reformat his drive and reinstall windows. By the time i got the drive back the partition information was lost and any computer i stuck the drive in would not see the data. It seems he thought you could pull the USB plug out of the computer without shutting the usb port down. I am still in the process of using a data recovery software to try getting my files back. I knew i should have backed everything to dvd's but thought "what could go wrong just once". This won't happen again. The loss is not that great since i have all the cd's that i ripped the music from. It's just a PITA to redo 1500 CD's again. I should have all the programs also since i am weird about backups so i need to drag out all my old backup cd's and look thru them and see if i still have the programs. I usually will backup twice to be sure. I have had a CD peel the silver layer off ruining the cd( left out in the sun one day). I am very careful with my backup cd's and dvd's nowadays.

SRX660

GiGaD

GiGaD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello :whistling:,

I have 2 hard disks one loads with Win 98SE and another Win XP Pro. Yesterday I re-installed Win XP and I started getting the 'hal.dll missing' errors when I try to load the 98SE.

I checked the boot.ini however I'm not a techie and I'm unsure how to troubleshoot.

MSCONFIG ->'Check All Boot Paths' Option says that 'all BOOT.INI Lines appear to be correct'.

BOOT.INI Loaded from XP:
----------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="MS Windows 98 SE" /fastdetect
----------------------

More info:

- 1 disk - Win XP Pro - Default loader
- 1 disk - Win 98SE
- XP was re-installed and loads fine.
- 98 shows the 'hal.dll' corrupt/missing error after I select 98 from the boot screen.

Glad if you can provide me with some help on this.

10x in advance.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What does the boot.ini show in win 98. I ask this because it still acts like a problem there.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini looks fine. The problem is you have a missing or corrupt hardware abstraction layer file (hal.dll).

Windows 98 will install over itself very nicely and will ususally resolve this problem. You may have to start the installation using a startup disk...make sure to install to the same directory.

GiGaD

GiGaD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Again,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have an update:

I found a hal.dll online, I copied the file in the system32 folder, and that appeared to have solved THIS problem. After rebooting I got the next error which was:

- '<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing'.

I found a copy of ntoskrnl.exe online and placed it in the same folder. Again after rebooting I got a new error:

- 'Load needed DLLs for kernel' :blink:

Checked out Microsoft http://support.micro....com/kb/164448/ and this KB says that the Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files are mismatched, which is most probaby my case.

Unfortunatley I was unable to follow the KB as it's for Win NT.

I'll most probably end up doing what 'wannabe1' suggested, but it looks like I'm soo close.

Any suggestions before I do the next move?

:whistling:

Thanks a lot!

desktopilliterate

desktopilliterate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi it seems as if I'm having the same problems as Tob. I've done what he posted on the top in green but i'm still having the same problem which is <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Is there something I'm not doing right? (after following the directions that was posted on the very top in green) :whistling:

fathom

fathom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

Well I have exactly the same problem.

One of my RAM sticks went belly up .... memory fail, spots in a matrix on the screen.... then the dreaded <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll is missing.

Tried to do a repair ... failed when halfway
didn't want to format and lose everything.

Then realised I had D partition that I'd emptied all valuable contents onto CD a coupla months back, so I did a clean install on D, changed the bios and loaded my modem and here I am. 4 am start, back online by 7am.

Now how to restore hal to C drive so it's usable again with all my programs... nero's in there too. I ain't got nuthin on D ceptin windows and foxit.

I'm afraid that there will be an endless sequence of missing files...

fathom

fathom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
bump :whistling:

docarii

docarii

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello Again,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have an update:

I found a hal.dll online, I copied the file in the system32 folder, and that appeared to have solved THIS problem. After rebooting I got the next error which was:

- '<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing'.

I found a copy of ntoskrnl.exe online and placed it in the same folder. Again after rebooting I got a new error:

- 'Load needed DLLs for kernel' :whistling:

Checked out Microsoft http://support.micro....com/kb/164448/ and this KB says that the Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files are mismatched, which is most probaby my case.

Unfortunatley I was unable to follow the KB as it's for Win NT.

To whom it may help:

Do not try the above, as it will get you to the "Load needed DLLs for kernel" error, I just tried it today, same prob. But finally came with an "alternate" solution to Repair Install or "in-place uprgrade". It’s something like what tobyed did.
Since I was afraid of what doing a reapair install might have done to my programs, I installed XP on another partition (in the same computer) and then copied “hal.dll” and “ntoskrnl.exe” over to the damaged ‘system32’ folder. And it works perfectly as before now.

As tobyed posted: “HAL is an acronym for hardware abstraction layer. The hal.dll file is a Windows NT file that is used by windows when communicating with your computer's hardware. It enables hardware from different vendors to allow them to accept a common set of Windows commands. If it is missing Windows will not function.”

For what I understand, it is unique to each computer, depending on the hardware components it has. Thus I am pretty sure using a downloaded one will not work. (If I am wrong please correct me).

Thus, I’m not sure how the method:
“5. At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
6. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.”

...is to work, as the hal file would be a generic one. Does Windows reconfigure it when it restarts? Or, does the “expand” command configure it? Or does this method work at all? (It did not work for Tobyed)

If I would know how to program, I’d try to write one that would reconfigure the generic hal (and maybe ntoskrnl too?) file with the unique hardware components specifications of the computer it was being executed. Or maybe someone can (if you do, or it exists, please let me know! (maybe some credit?))

I am 90% + sure if tobyed would have copied “hal.dll” and “ntoskrnl.exe” from the re installation he did over to the old ‘system32’ folder it would have booted up fine. I am pretty sure they were there, he just did not find them. Otherwise, how could his Windows boot if the files were not there and the other ones (on damaged install) were corrupted.

That’s officially my first post here, in fact, any 'help' forum. Hope it may help someone. And if anyone can answer my questions, I would be very thankful!

God bless y’all,
-docarii

Edited by docarii, 27 July 2007 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

t0xicxch3rr1es

t0xicxch3rr1es

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I need some help pretty bad. I am pretty litrate when it comes to computers.. but I have tried just about everything I can and nothing seems to want to work. I get the <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. error message saying that it is corrupt or missing to re-install. Well, I'm unable to go into safe mode to try a system restore because my operating system won't do anything. I even tried to go into safe mode with command prompt so I can pull up a system restore that way. I failed. It won't even load it up that way. I can't boot from the Windows XP disk either. I have ran out of options and am seeking help badly. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Any help would be appreciated. I have Windows XP Professional. Thank you so much. Oh and I was even going to try to get a startup disk, but I don't have any floppy disks lying around and I am unsure how to do that.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Everyone needs to start their own topic and stop replying to this one. It is very distracting for everyone when there are multiple problems from multiple people being posted. Makes it hard to know which comment is for who, which can lead to one of the people with the problem trying something that wasn't meant for them and they hose their computer. :)

Please leave this topic alone for help for tobyed only.

Thanks,
Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 26 September 2008 - 02:22 PM.

amoctober

amoctober

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi.
Whenever I try and boot my computer I get the error message: "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it." - or something along those lines.
I've trawled through the internet looking for solutions. I initially tried just repairing the installation of the OS, as I have done numerous times in the past. This option actually wasn't available to me, my only option was for a complete format or to go into the recovery console.
I've tried various commands in the console but none have worked for me.
Here's the solution that I followed:

What is the boot.ini file and how do I repair it?

This is the file that is used that identifies the location of Windows. It is a hidden system file located in the root partition of the primary hard drive ©. It identifies which hard drive, which partition on the drive and the folder where Windows is installed.

The steps to repair a missing or corrupt boot.ini file are:

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.
6. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Windows installations to the boot.ini file. Those step will be:
1. Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
(1) C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Type y and hit enter
2. Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
3. Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note: The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.
7. Take out the CD ROM and type exit.

The rebuild command came up with an error message due to a corrupt file system.
Next I tried this:

What is the hal.dll file and how do I repair or replace it?

HAL is an acronym for hardware abstraction layer. The hal.dll file is a Windows NT file that is used by windows when communicating with your computer's hardware. It enables hardware from different vendors to allow them to accept a common set of Windows commands. If it is missing Windows will not function.

In situations where it has become damaged, either from virus activity or hardware failure, it may be necessary to replace it with an undamaged copy. Here are the steps necessary to replace the hal.dll file with an undamaged copy from the Windows CD:

1. As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
6. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Doing this lead to the message - 'There is no CD or Floppy disk in the drive', when the recovery disk was.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. A complete format of my hard drive isn't something I want to resort to just yet.

Thanks.

timmmm

timmmm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im having the same problem , i havnt done anything about it yet though . if it helps , the last time my computer let me in i removed an app from the startup from msconfig , i believe it was called "APVXDWIN" ... im not entirely sure but i think it was related to Panda antivirus and was causing my computer to run very slowly . i dont want to screw up my computer either , but i do need to be able to access my original files . i tried doing a dual boot from BackTrack3 which i have on a external HDD but nothing successfuly .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: timmmm

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is realistically over a year old. It makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.