Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden browser problems

• Please log in to reply

roguetrader

roguetrader

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I have encountered a sudden onset of browser problems, initially it seemed to be limited to Hotmail.

I use both Opera and IE6 on a Win 2k pro os, since this morning I have not been able to logon to Hotmail, the logon page appears ok, and the login process appears to start ok, but stalls IE eventually says this page cannot be displayed and Opera returns an error 'Connection closed by remote server',

Now I find that when I tried to submit this message on the same computer that also failed with the same opera message, however as you can see I am able to operate normally on another computer using the same network connection.
I am also able to access hotmail on the second computer, so the problem is not of hotmails doing
This all seems to have started when I inadvertently allowed Opera to become the default browser on the problem computer.
Any ideas much appreciated

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
download ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

and after cleaning out your cache and cookies, try it again.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

download ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

and after cleaning out your cache and cookies, try it again.

Thanx, that's a program I run everyday, already done
Am also running the following programs, AVG, scanned, nothing found, Ewido, scanned nothing found, though it has been playing up since yesterday. Spybot S&D scanned nothing found, Aa-Aware, scanned nothing found, and have carried out a repair on IE through add/remove programs, no help, have now uninstalled Opera, no change

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
hm.. there's not much else. Are you directly connected to the internet or through a router? Either way, try disconnecting from the internet and turning off your computer for five minutes and try again.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

hm.. there's not much else. Are you directly connected to the internet or through a router? Either way, try disconnecting from the internet and turning off your computer for five minutes and try again.

connect via a router, will try that....The tthing that confuses me....mind you that doesn't take a lot as far as computers are concerned, is that can browse to many sites no problem, yahoo, msn even this forum, though couldn't post on it using that computer, almost like the problem is selective, and can't see what the link between IE and Opera. This computer I am using at the moment is on the same router, no problems with the connection

Incidentally this seems to be degenerating, now in safe mode and something has crashe Ewido during launch

roguetrader

roguetrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I hate computers, still no joy, have no idea what is going on, problem computer still refuses to open hotmail, and is very slow on other e-mail sites, whilst my other computers on the same network zip through them.
Managed to sort the problem with Ewido, seems to have been having some sort of problem with a program called SpyCatcher which wascausing it problems

Edited by roguetrader, 10 September 2006 - 03:11 PM.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No other ideas? :whistling:
Ok one last try before the big hammer comes out, and I have to go the re-install route
Maybe all the talk of e-mail accounts is confusing things, so stay closer to home, this site. I click the button 'Add Reply' go to the reply page no probs, type message, and click 'Add Reply' Opera hangs for about 60 seconds and then redirects to the forum index IE6 just hangs for ages before The page cannot be displayed.
As you can see, different PC on the same connection, and no problem

Edited by roguetrader, 11 September 2006 - 04:10 PM.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
For the benefit of Numb Remxed, thanx for taking the time to reply and trying to help, I have now resolved the problem, the bottom line cause is still somewhat unknown, but somehow my ICMP firewall rules were deleted. All is now back to normal and I am monitoring the firewall program for any unusual activity.