Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Problem?¿?¿?

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Today i made the switch from Intel to AMD. I went to Fry's Electronics today and picked up a AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ and i also picked up an ABIT KN9 SLI Motherboard. So i put it all together in my case and when i go to power it on everything works but no video. So i reset the CMOS and it works fine. So tonight i wanted to try to overclock it and when i change the settings just a tiny bit i get no video. So i reset cmos and it works fine?

My CPU is operating at 2.01 at the moment.

So basically how would i go about overclocking?
Thanks in advance

Edited by Longhorns242, 10 September 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend over clocking unless you really know what you're doing. If you are determined to over clock though, then bare this in mind :

Over clocking results in more heat being produced so you need to keep a close eye on the cpu & system temps & probably provide additional cooling.

Over clock initially by a very small amount. Make sure the system is stable & the temps are ok before increasing the amount of overclock

How are you attempting to over clock the cpu at the moment? i.e are you increasing the FSB or the cpu multiplier?

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i increase the CPU External Clock to like 210 and it dosent work my CPU multiplier is set at X10 which is as high as it goes.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats probably why you are having problems then. If you increase the external clock, you increase the clock frequency for other components as well as the cpu. This means obviously that these components are also being overclocked & as a result, may become unstable or not work at all.

It is generally better to increase the multiplier instead as this affects only the cpu frequency & nothing else. If your cpu multiplier is already set to it's maximum value, then there may not be much else you can do, except possible flash the bios (assuming there is an update available that increases the available multiplier values)

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
yes there is an flash update avaliable but i need to install a floppy drive and do it so ill try that

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try & find out if the update is going to provide additional CPU support or increased multiplier. If it doesn't, then don't bother updating unless you need to - as you state in your sig, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!