Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card overclocking

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
i have a 7800gt and know u can get a new registry to overclock my gfx ... i was wonderin is that the only way to OC ur gfx? also is there some mobo BIOS options that i need 2 adjust to help it out such as PCIE Bus or spectrum ?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i have a 7800gt and know u can get a new registry to overclock my gfx ... i was wonderin is that the only way to OC ur gfx? also is there some mobo BIOS options that i need 2 adjust to help it out such as PCIE Bus or spectrum ?

You dont adjust the spectrum on the mobo for the video card. You can however raise the voltage of the pci express slot if your mobo has the option to. I wouldnt mess with the voltage though unless you know exactly what you are doing or you might just fry your video card. Dont overclock to far or you will end up with a fried card aswell. You are on your own and its your fault if you mess anything up. Coolbits is the registry file that opens up overclocking options. :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
there are two ways that i no that are probably safer than updating the VBIOS

you can use two programs

ATI tool
or
Rivatuner

i like rivatuner better but its up to personal preferance but i would expect too much, its still a fairly high end card and they pretty much maxed out already

i wouldnt adjust any voltages though just leave it to the programs

now when you are overclocking:
1) overclock the card by 5-10MHz at a time
2) run a graphics intensive program such as 3Dmark03 or 06 these are better than games
3) look for visable artifacts
4) a. if artifacts are seen then lower the settings until they disapear
b. if no artifacts are seen then raise the settings once again
5) repeat steps 2 and 3

these are very basic steps andif you would like me to elaberate then just ask

and also these programs do not keep the settings permanent when you start up your machine but this is good because then yourt video card is protected a little better

if your card has temp monitoring (which im pretty sure it does) make sure you keep a very good eye on them and see if they raise to much. run 3Dmark 03 or 06 before you overclok and see how much the temps raise on your GPU and write them down then compare them to your overclocked temps and if its to high then do not proceed

as i said these are very basic steps and i will ellaberate more if you wish

troppo

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
i dl'd rivatuner but dont have a clue of wat 2 do

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Since you have an nvidia video card I would use coolbits. I like coolbits alot. It doesnt update the video cards bios. You are thinking about flashing the bios. Flashing is when you change the bios on the video card to a different one like if you had for example a 6800gt and you wanted to turn it into a 6800ultra you would then get the ultra bios and flash it with a program.. I have flashed my 6800gt before to a 6800ultra by using leadtek's flashing utility and using a floppy drive with the new bios on it... Its been awhile though.

Coolbits works great, just remember than you are responsible if anything happens to your video card.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i would start of with rivatuner first then consider flashing the VBIOS it can be really dangerous if not done correctly

in rivatuner click on the graphics card symbol (it actuall looks like a grahpics card)

then overclock using the sliders

troppo