Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can A Heatsink Be Modified?

• Please log in to reply

MitchC

MitchC

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey everyone,

I own an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard. This motherboard, as many of you may already know (Especially if you own the board... *sigh*) that the northbridge fan is notorious for failing! Anyways, I've replaced this fan once under warranty but... I would like the quiet things as much as possible. So I have seen numerous people recommend the Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge cooler. My question for you is, can I modify this heatsink? I have two BFG 6800 Ultra video card that would be blocking a few edges of this heatsink. But I think if I cut the top halves of a few 'fins' it would fit quite perfect. Will this effect the cooling and heat transfer of the heatsink? I can take a picture to show how much need to be trimmed... I am thinking about.... 5 to 10 just be looking. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mitch

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt reccomend it i would though just get a northbridge HSF that does actually fit there is plenty of choice, you might try akasa or vantec.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I bought this heatsink for use in a tight area and it seems to work pretty well.

http://www.nexfan.com/evchcoco.html

SRX660

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I wouldnt reccomend it i would though just get a northbridge HSF that does actually fit there is plenty of choice, you might try akasa or vantec.

The reason I want to use a heatsink is to get away from the HSF. Are you not recommending using a heatsink or not recommending modifying it? :whistling:

Mitch

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first I would not modify a heatsink to fit.... also if the northbridge originally had a HSF as opposed to just a heatsink i wouldn't recommmend just a heatsink.....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The fans for most northbridge coolers make very little noise even at full speed and they are usually temperature controlled anyway, the fan is the best way to go especially for the northbridge on an AMD. You ideally dont want to rely on a heat sink only cooler either its a little more dangerous and if you do modify a heatsink you immediately reduce its cooling potential. You also have to consider airflow with heatsinks because they dont have fans doesnt mean they dont need airflow they just rely on the normal case airflow which if it isnt good means poor cooling and if its a tight space anyway again you could have impeded airflow so a fan is better.