Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Web designer

• Please log in to reply

mm_akash

mm_akash

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear All friends,

I do believe, i will get perfect advice over here about web design. I am very much eager to learn web designing. Can anyone show me the right way to leart this ? Please suggest me. What should i do for the first stage.

your friend
Akash

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well, for starters, you need to know about html.

Thats the basic web programming language.

Then after you know most of the basics on html, you can go on to adding in php scripts into the html and even a css stylesheet.

Have a look on google for html tutorials.

:whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Lesson number 1:

Don't use Frontpage to make webpages with. The pages will often break in Firefox.

Lesson number 2:

Don't use Office (especially Word or Publisher) to make webpages with. The pages are guaranteed to break in Firefox.

Lesson number 3:

Don't make pages that only work in Internet Explorer. Don't make pages that break in Firefox/Opera. And don't plaster "this page is designed for IE" buttons on your website as if its the best browser since sliced bread.

Lesson number 4:

Repeat lesson numbers 1-3 on a regular basis.

mm_akash

mm_akash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear Friends,

Thanks to all for giving me good advice. From now I will start to learn html. But i was doing wrong last few days. I was practicing with Flash. I think First I need to know well about HTML then flash. What say my freinds ? Anyway. By google i got some nice tutorial for html. Now I am just learning. I alwasy need your help.

Thanks again.

Your friend
Akash

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
I would recoment checing out macromedia studio - dreamweaver for your designs, it has a free 30 day full download on www.macromedia.com but the commecial version is quite expensive unfortunatly. it is a good too for leaning and chaching code though.

mm_akash

mm_akash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear Magosis,

I am using Macromedia Professional 8 with Crack.
Now I am learning well. I think I will be able to spend my time for this purpost i do believe i will be success. And for that I need all of you good support.

Thanks
Akash

jollymoon

jollymoon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I used a simple free HTML/ftp editor program like : coffee cup express or you can use::::

Coffee Cup HTML Free
arachnophilia
Ace HTML Free editor
web-o-rama

These programs are FREE and very good to start on.

I started by making a change in a simple webpage's HTML code and then "testing" it in the browser (all of these programs have a "browser" button). Try working with changing a color or adding in a picture. When you understand what happened in your change, and why, then you can go on to making other things in your pages.

These programs are very easy and it is very hard to make a mistake. Once you see "what" is changed when you change something in the code, then it becomes easier and easier to understand.

Like a giant puzzle.

Good Luck.

mm_akash

mm_akash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks jollymoon

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
http://www.nvu.com/ is also a very good WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor.

I would recomend you learn to write html by hand, it is very simle so if you can master it you will have a lot of problems with everything else.

Make sure you learn css as well, you can do a lot of cool things with it. And once you have worked it out it makes writeing web pages a lot quicker. I learnt css from http://www.w3schools...s_reference.asp just click on an example and see what is does.

And don't use flash, it is number 3 on http://www.useit.com...gnmistakes.html

mm_akash

mm_akash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
wow ! great great solution i m getting. Thanks michael, I will practice.

Thanks

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Dear Friends,

Thanks to all for giving me good advice. From now I will start to learn html. But i was doing wrong last few days. I was practicing with Flash. I think First I need to know well about HTML then flash. What say my freinds ? Anyway. By google i got some nice tutorial for html. Now I am just learning. I alwasy need your help.

Thanks again.

Your friend
Akash

If you're designing a website for everyone to view (such as people with any type of disability or anyone with slow connection) don't use flash (flash cannot be read by text-to-speach programs). Also if you want you should private message me and I'll give you my email so I can teach you html and xhtml 1.1.

gyt6765

gyt6765

• Pip
  • 5 posts
As far as I know thare a lot of tutorials in Internet that can teach you how to become a web designer. But it's only a theoretical material; only when you start to do something with your own hand and surely making mistakes you start to understand how this ot that things have to be done. But the advices are really good.
I sincerily wish you good luck.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

As far as I know thare a lot of tutorials in Internet that can teach you how to become a web designer. But it's only a theoretical material; only when you start to do something with your own hand and surely making mistakes you start to understand how this ot that things have to be done. But the advices are really good.
I sincerily wish you good luck.

I agree, you have to do some hands on trial and error to learn. You learn from your errors (man, that don't work, never do that again).

Advice is great too, that is why I love chat rooms like #web on irc.freenode.org. Quick advice when you need it.

Edited by Michael, 04 October 2006 - 04:43 AM.