Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD: Updated SoundMax Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi everyone. I have an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard which uses SoundMAX audio drivers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio).
Usually when playing games i get blue screens of death at random times. Sometimes i get PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or it just reebots.

I have searched at Asus home page for updated audio drivers but the only ones i found are from 2003 (this are the same that came with the MB CD)

Does anyone know where to find updated audio drivers?

Thnaks in advance.

PS: OS is Windows XP SP2. Video is GeForce FX 5200, this drivers are up to date.

Edited by Diego8, 11 September 2006 - 10:01 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
May not have anything to do with the sound driver. Other possibilities are a damaged virtual memory file (pagefile.sys) which you can delete and Windows will create a new one. Or it could be a faulty stick of RAM.

To force Windows to create a new page file, go into Control panel - system - advanced. Performance - Settings - Advanced. Click 'Change' at the bottom in the virtual memory section. Now make a note of your current pagefile settings. Check "No Paging File". Click 'Set'. Reboot. (be prepared for much slower start-up without virtual memory - this is normal).

Now go back and reverse what you just did, using the settings you had before. Click 'Set'. Reboot and you now have a new pagefile.sys

If BSODs continue, a corrupt page file is obviously not the culprit so test your RAM with memtest or similar.
If several sticks of RAM are fitted you could test each one by removing one at a time and running the game or whatever to see if problem disappears.

Edited by pip22, 12 September 2006 - 01:04 PM.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Sorry i couldn't answer earlier, i was on vacations and i took a break from computers.
Ok, i only have one memory stick so i tested it with memtest86+. i let it test for an entire pass and it didn't find any errors.
The strange thing is that if i ran the game (SimCity 3000) under safe mode it works perfectly but under "normal" mode the BSOD screen appears almost instantly.
I tryed disabling all the startup programs and all services but no luck.

I have to say that this BSOD screens are showing up more often, sometimes when i'm surfing the net or when the computer is idle.
Maybe it's time to format the HD and reinstall Windows.
Would it do any good?

Thnaks in advance.