Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Messed up

• Please log in to reply

Pot8oHead

Pot8oHead

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all,

I partitioned my brother's 250gb SATA hard drive using Partition Magic 8 the other day, but one of the partitions wasn't big enough, so I used PM to try to resize it using free space on the C: partition. The overall process got to 17% and then appeared to freeze (neither of the other 2 progress indicators were changing either), so after waiting 5 minutes or so with no change, I reset the computer.

Now the problem is that the drive won't boot up. I get a screen that looks like it might be PM-related with a fair amount of text on it that appears for approximately 1/4 of a second and then the computer restarts. I've tried reinstalling Windows (XP Pro) but it doesn't detect any drives connected. I've installed the drive into my computer as a slave, but it doesn't get detected in this one either, although when I run PM on this machine, it does show the drive in question, but only as an asterisk (as opposed to having a drive letter). The Properties sheet shows the following information:

Partition type: 0F (Hex) ExtendedX
Serial Number: None

First Physical sector: 45,544,275 (Cyl 2,835, Hd 0,Sect 1)
Last Physical sector: 240,187,489 (Cyl 14,945, Hd 254, Sect 63)

Total Physical sectors: 194,563,215 (95,001.6 MB)

Physical Geometry: 14,946 Cyls, 255 Hds, 63 Sects

The drive is a Samsung and it looks like the model is SASP2504C.

Is there any way I can get this drive back up and running? I don't care if I have to wipe it clean in the process.

Another thing I tried was to connect a different drive to his computer and install Windows to that one, but after the setup completes and the computer reboots, the same thing happens. Judging by the fact that I'm given a choice of booting into XP or '98 (since '98 was on his old drive), I'm sure I'm booting off of the correct drive. I don't know if this only compounds the problem or not, but the problematic drive is the only SATA drive I've got to work with; my drive is an IDE (or EIDE or whatever) as is the old one. My motherboard has SATA connectors on it, however I had to use a different power supply because the only connectors I had to plug into drives are regular old 4-pin connectors.

So... anyone able to work a miracle here?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the sata being used as a slave or the master on the original computer?

Pot8oHead

Pot8oHead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The SATA is the only hard drive in the original computer. I should mention that this is from an HP computer, and so there's an additional FAT32 partition with Recovery files on it; when I boot the computer up, I'm given the option of booting into Windows Media Edition or whatever it's called or Windows XP Professional Setup. Choosing the second option results in nothing but a blinking cursor.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what os was originally installed? MCE? or XP? why is it showing two OS's?

Pot8oHead

Pot8oHead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
MCE was installed and I assume they included the XP Pro "CD" as an extra option or something. It came from Future Shop that way.