Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In memoriam 9/11

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please do not politicize this thread.

This post is in memory of the people that died on September 11, 2001. May we honor their memory and pray for peace around the world.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It is likely the event that will define our generation. I remember getting ready for work, when I heard Charles Gibson on Good Morning America say that a plane had just flown into the World Trade center. They had live video of smoke coming out of the North tower, so I sat at the foot of the bed thinking that it was sure a strange accident. I think I was about to get up and leave when the second plane hit the South tower. I didn't get up again for a couple of hours. I was glued to the images. As I recall there wasn't a great deal of panic or concern until the South tower fell. Then it was such a shock that no one knew what happened initially. Once it became clear, I think everyone knew something horrible was happening. Our lives were being forever changed.

I remember before 9/11 there was talk about how we were a generation devoid of heroes. What incredible acts of heroism we saw that day, and after. From the firemen and women that were fighting their way up the staircases, to the police and EMTs working in and around the building, to the people that showed up from all over the country to help with the rescue and clean-up missions. And, the heroes on Flight 93 that probably saved hundreds of more lives, if not everyone in the White House or Capitol Building. The Pentagon wasn't so lucky.

My wife and I were in NYC about this time last year, I was surprised how little there was for memorials at ground zero. It was mostly a barren looking construction zone. I know some have been added since, and the huge replacement tower work will soon be underway. The victims really deserve a suitable memorial.

In weeks and months following 9/11 it seems everything on the Internet included a reference, often along with the text "never forget". I don't think any of us can ever forget it. I really debated about changing the logo to include a ribbon, or including some other way to acknowledge what will now be known as "Patriot Day" on this site, however that just rang hollow to me. I think a thread like this much more appropriate. Thanks Sari.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
It's a terrible thing that happened on 9/11 I remember that morning I was pregnant and only had a month to go before the birth and we were getting the twins ready for school and watching the news and then they showed the plane heading for the twin towers and then it hit and I said to my husband they should empty the other tower now as this is no accident and not long after the other plane appeared and sadly it did the same thing it was a terrible day for all mankind it's so so sad it's well past the time for peace around the world lets hope someday that will eventually happen. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I thought that on that day I would borrow my son's folding scooter(very common in Geneva and used by people of all ages) knowing that my guidework would finish somewhere beyond Chamonix high on the mountain pass where there was a wonderful downhill decent of about a thousand five hundred mtrs over a very long distance, I was crazy, it was amazing, the speed, the clear sky, the white-topped mountains, etc., and then almost at the bottom I rewarded myself with a coffee in a bistro where there the television suddenly showed it happening, anyway the contrast in emotions couldn't have greater but not of a 'happy-sad' sort, no the contrast was more between my feeling of having being so carefree one moment and then suddenly so very serious the next.

I remember too that evening in this board when someone started a thread on this site about this great loss, it made me remember JFK's remark about about being a Berliner, and I wrote "I am an American", I guess at that moment we all were.

Edited by fleamailman, 12 September 2006 - 06:05 AM.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i remember coming home from school that day, and on the tv it was cnn or something and it said "america at war" i thought it was a movie :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I lost 6 people that day.

I had worked all day and never saw a tv, all we had was a single radio to listen too. Never seeing pictures of what happened until almost 7pm that night.

It was so scary just listening and not seeing, I kinda felt like I was back to how people were when Pearl Harbor occured.

My thoughts go out to everyone everywhere. It is truly something I will remeber for the rest of my life. As 30 of us sat around a single radio on our manufacturing floor I truly felt alone and scared. I didnt know what was going to happen next. I still have chills on how that day made me felt.

And now 5 years later I sit and wonder and hope for all the friends and family who are deployed around the globe that are missing their families. I hope everyone stays ok.

speny28

speny28

• Pip
  • 3 posts
On the morning of 9\11, I was so overwhelmed by fear and disbelief that I don’t even remember what the people around me were saying. That was the saddest most devastating event of my life. Even the death of close family members didn’t hit as hard. I think maybe because we expect to lose people, even the ones we love most. There was no way that I ever expected that to happen. I have a hard time watching news stories and updates. I haven’t even been able to watch the documentaries on TLC and other networks that have dedicated some of their programming to keeping the memory so that we never forget to honor the treasured lives that we have lost. I burst into tears so easily that I just felt it was better not to watch. When the tsunami killed all those people, I cried so hard for all of them. I was sad for the world. I have always thought of 9\11 as something that happened to us in America. I never thought about the way that others around the world felt. :help: :whistling: Thank you, Sari for this thread. Thank You, fleamailman for helping me out. :blink:

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
thanks sari
we all remember where we where that september day and we all where hurt.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
our english teacher had us write a paper on what happened that day (to us), but it OBVIOUSLY was not neccessary, as elmundo said. Even 5 years after, I remember what my final period at school was that day

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply to this thread. I too will never forget hearing the news. When I first heard that a twin-engine plane crashed into the World Trade Center, I pictured a small private plane and thought someone had made an awful mistake. When I turned on the TV and realized what had happened, I was horror-stricken.

The plane striking the Pentagon really hit home - I had worked there as a sub-contractor, and had been in the very offices that had been struck. Jaxisland, my heart goes out to you for your loss; I lost a former co-worker in the Pentagon that day, and can't imagine the pain of losing 6 people. What a horrifying day that must have been.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Thank You Sari and I am sorry for your loss as well.

Luckily a stint in the Army helped me deal with the pain.

Gread thread and good luck to all.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's a horrible thing that took place that day. I was in 6th grade myself, and I remember that everyone was called inside to homeroom from where we were, and they turned on CNN. We saw it live. The first tower had already collapsed, and while on live TV, we watched the second tower come falling down. What a sight! :whistling:

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I thought that by seeing the title of this thread people would see that it was in memoriam to the ones who gave their lives and not about how they felt and how this affected them.
Please donate to the charities for the families truly affected by these events.

http://www.oag.state...lief/index.html

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I know this thread is old but this girl in my class's dad died in 9/11 and she went to New York that day and her boyfriend always feels wierd when talking about it.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
To all who lost a loved-one 6yrs.ago to-day,my heartfelt sympathy and a tribute to the unsung heroes of those horrible days!We'll never forget!