Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In memoriam 9/11

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Zorba,

Thanks for reviving this - I haven't had a chance today. Maybe someday we'll achieve peace in the world.

Advertisements

TaterState

TaterState

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I was in my office when the first plane hit. Someone came by and told me about it but I stayed to catch up on some work while others went to the break room to catch the news. When the second plane hit, I was drawn to the break room with virtually all others. A few minutes later, our military base was locked down and we went to threatcon Delta. I was in the USAF stationed at Minot Air Force Base. Then the Pentagon was hit. No one can describe the feelings or emotions on display in that room - as though our home and family were under attack. It was very personal with all of us in uniform. I've since retired, but I'll never forget!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Zorba,

Thanks for reviving this - I haven't had a chance today. Maybe someday we'll achieve peace in the world.

I will wait with you sari, but I have to admit I dont have high hopes of it happening soon.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We must never forget, and I know we won't, all the lives lost and the heros made that day.

We must also remember the lives that are lost today by our armed services that are still fighting for our freedom!

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I was only in fourth grade, and I really wasn't old enough or mature enough to even realize what was happening. Now that I think back, I realize how big it really was and IS, and that it really does change my life and all of those around me. I was in History class (again, 4th grade), and our principle announced on the speakers that a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center, and after soon realizing that another plane had crashed, and the South towers went down, he announced that we would all be going home after lunch for early dismissal. Of course, immature as we were in fourth grade, we just were happy that we got home earlier than expected, and I was only a little worried about that kind of stuff because to me back then, that kind of stuff happened in random places on the planet, why should I be worried? After getting home, my dad, who's usually not into politics, and he usually doesn't show concern for any accidents or shows emotions on any political events, he was just horrified by this event, and that made me very nervous. I, along with my sister who was also dismissed early, was glued to the TV, and as a little kid that age, I was really scared that I thought that I would die as well even if I lived in Connecticut. I remember that night, when my mom got home from work, we all gathered around a small, lit candle and said a prayer for all those who died. That's probably the first and only time we've ever did that as a family, and that made it official to me. This was REALLY serious.

The night Bush had declared war on Iraq, I remember my mom calling and I could just notice the tone of her voice. She was really worried. Of course, that made me nervous as well.

Just thinking and typing this story made me re-live those moments, and I just realized that even though I had little knowledge of what was going on, I was still really scared of what was happening, and how 9/11 changed just about every single human being on the planet.

Rest in peace to those who died on that tragic day, and I hope justice gets served one way or the other.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I had just recently started a new job at the time, and I remember coming to my new share-home and the replays were on TV over and over again, it just caught my attention. You have to understand - I pretty much never watch TV :whistling: My mate was watching it, and I said "Wow, that's like awesome graphics, what movie is this?" Because it looked real, not the slower-frame-rate look of the cinema. And he got really angry at me and threw the newspaper at me and it took me a good minute to let it sink in...

And now, it's set off a chain-reaction around the world, every government has a "Are you prepared for a terrorist attack?" plan, and I sincerely hope that this kind of thing never happens in the world ever again. Unfortunately, my brother-in-law lives in Indonesia, and there's a lot of attacks, attempts and other things happening over there, so it still happens today.

I just don't understand how there can be so much hate that someone would want to do that?

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I know I'm really late on this, I just don't visit this section of the forum much, and I do want to comment.

I remember that day; I was in school, I think I was in 4th grade. I came back from school and on the radio I've heard that planes crashed into one tower, then another. It wasn't really clear to me back then, I wish I could understand and cherish that moment. I didn't understand how horrible it was until a few days later, when I saw reports on TV about it (I don't watch TV at all). Then, it took a couple of years for me to understand the full impact of the event.

I remember the day after it, we had a kind of a memorial day at school. The teachers explained to us what happened, and we stood 2 minutes in the memory of the victims. That's all I remember.

I do understand what it means to have such an attack on your country, and living near a place where several terror attacks have taken place, I do know what kinds of fear must have passed through people's hearts when they witnessed it happen. There were times when we used to have a terror attack weekly, and the most frightening thing was - it actually became a part of our life. We no longer 'went wild' because of 10 people killed in a suicide bombing in a mall, that was really, a part of our life.

I really wish there would be peace and the world, and that we'd be able to stop the violence.

May those who died in the attacks rest in peace.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
To all who lost a loved-one 7yrs.ago to-day,my heartfelt sympathy and a tribute to the unsung heroes of those horrible days!We'll never forget!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The first 9/11 memorial to be completed was dedicated today at the Pentagon. The story is here. I've followed the building of this memorial closely, for several reasons: it's near me, so there were frequent stories; a former co-worker died at the Pentagon, and I worked as a contractor there several years prior to the attacks (in the section that was hit); and at one point, my husband's company was involved in the design. We hoped they would get the work, not because they were planning to make any money on it (they would have donated the parts, etc.), but because it would have been an honor to be included in such an undertaking. I will go and visit this in the near future, although I know I'll cry while I'm there.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Wow...

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
I don't even think I could put into words how I felt that day - All I can say is that I was shocked, angry and upset beyond belief - Words were few, and I think I yelled something at the top of my lungs when I saw the second plane hit......

I have seen so many things happen on TV that commemorate the 9/11 attacks...... However,
Each time I see these, I am reminded of the extreme sacrifices everyone made that day, and the lives lost. I don't think I will EVER forget this day. It was a mix of anger, sadness and other emotions as I saw the TV report the incident.......I think that was the first time in my life that I actually thought that I may not be as SAFE as I thought I was........It makes me think that I have to be more observent of things around me, and believe me, I have done so.......

As Sari has stated, she will probably cry when she visits these memorials, and I don't doubt it: I feel the same way.....I feel that the most important thing anyone can do is to remember the people, remember the sacrifices and cherish the memories of those who lost thier lives, or who's lives were changed in some way because of the attacks - May their sacrifices and memories live on, and may everyone who was involved be remembered as a HERO for what they have done....

May the families and victims of this tradgedy, whomever and wherever they are know that they will always be remembered, and may they rest in peace :)

Brian

Draygoes

Draygoes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I wish that I had been here to reply to this thread when it was first started, and I am sorry to anyone that takes offense to me bumping it.

I was in the 6th grade at the time. It started like any normal day. We went in, sat down, and started getting ready for the day to begin.
Everything felt normal. That is, until our teacher got the call that I will never forget.
She was told to turn on the tv, a news broudcast was being sent through the school and everyone needed to listen to it.

She turns on the tv, and right then we saw a clip of the first plane smashing into the first tower. Everyone thought it was an accident. Pilot error you know? Still, it was ground breaking.

Well, just like any normal sixth grade class, we soon got board of watching the news and started chattering between ourselves.
I myself was deep in conversation with a friend of mine about Yugioh and who was better at it. Then it happened.
The second plane struck the second tower, and the effect was instant. This was no accident, and everyone knew it.

Our teacher kept getting calls, asking her to change to different channles as different buildings where struck.

The one moment that I will NEVER forget, is this.
After school, my mother took me out to the parking lot, but told me not to get into the car. "Son." she said. "Look at the sky for a moment." I did as I was instructed. "I never want you to forget this moment. This is the moment that has changed america.".

I still have not forgotten that moment. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This is one thread that I don't think anyone minds if someone digs it up. :)

My daughters were in elementary school when 9/11 happened. I was honestly VERY very angry that the school had them all go to the gym to watch it. My youngest daughter was in 1st grade at the time. WAY too young to just watch it in school, with no one talking to the kids. The teachers and staff were talking amongst themselves and crying. Beka had nightmares for WEEKS, and wouldn't go near a tall building for months. In my mind, the school should have either kept it from them until they got home, or sent them home early. It's insanity that they handled it the way they did. I was far from being the only parent who threw a complete fit to the school board about it.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

This is one thread that I don't think anyone minds if someone digs it up. :)

My daughters were in elementary school when 9/11 happened. I was honestly VERY very angry that the school had them all go to the gym to watch it. My youngest daughter was in 1st grade at the time. WAY too young to just watch it in school, with no one talking to the kids. The teachers and staff were talking amongst themselves and crying. Beka had nightmares for WEEKS, and wouldn't go near a tall building for months. In my mind, the school should have either kept it from them until they got home, or sent them home early. It's insanity that they handled it the way they did. I was far from being the only parent who threw a complete fit to the school board about it.

Kat:

I agree that they should have handled this differently - There is NO reason to expose young viewers to the 9/11 attacks the way that they did in this case - Parents should have been alerted to this, and students should have been released, so that parents could decide how they were going to deal with this.

I was in 7th Grade (1986) when the Challenger Exploded: We were watching this within an hour after the accident. This was also a tragedy that changed the world, but 9/11 is something that is forever remembered as life altering. Teachers should be able to determine what they will allow their students to watch, and barring that, should have just said that there had been an accident, and sent students home, so that parents could explain what happened in an appropriate way.........I can tell you that on 9/11, my mouth was hanging open, and I did not know what to think, say or do to deal with the anger and shock - Young ones exposed to this accident would deal with it in different ways, and it is not appropriate to show this, and then expect kids to be able to learn thier lessons for the day. Parents should be the judge of how to deal with this, and some schools didn't show it because of the effect it may have on the students - They sent kids home to deal with the tragedy.

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 20 December 2008 - 01:13 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Young ones exposed to this accident would deal with it in different ways, and it is not appropriate to show this, and then expect kids to be able to learn thier lessons for the day. Parents should be the judge of how to deal with this, and some schools didn't show it because of the effect it may have on the students - They sent kids home to deal with the tragedy.

Well said Brian - like a true Uncle. :)

Everyone deals with this kind of situation in different ways. Not only children, but there are some adults who, in my opinion, should never be exposed to these kinds of incidents because of stupid retaliation actions. (Think of the looters during Hurricane Katrina, as an example).

It's been a good few years now since this terrorism act occurred, and it still comes to mind instantly. Admin was right - this is definitely one of the defining moments of this generation.

Troy