Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games + Movie Problems

• Please log in to reply

xriscarter

xriscarter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am the type of person that likes to play computer games and watch DVDs at the same time....but when I try to do this with PC games other then popcap and windows games it makes the movie that I am trying to watch go "black".

I have...

windows xp home sp2
AMD Athlon 2800
1GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 512MB
dual monitors
k-lite mega codec pack
and use vlc and wmp

I have no idea what I can do to try to fix this problem, and I am not finding any info from google...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi xriscarter! Welcome to G2G!

The reason this happens is because your video card is being used to run the game, and therefore cannot be used to show the video from the DVD you are trying to watch. You are able to play Internet games fine while watching a movie because they don't need as much graphical power to run and therefore leave enough for the DVD to play.

Fenor

xriscarter

xriscarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the fast information....

If I was to install a one of my older card s to run my 2nd monitor would that work?

I have my monitors set up right now so that they are separate desk tops and not just one big one (one where it just cuts the programs in the middle of the screen). If I do add in a second card could I still have it set up this way?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's not a fact of only having one video card. I have two 7800GT's and I can't do what you want. As of right now, there is no way for us to change this so that one video card controls the game and one controls the rest. I'm sure it will come, but for now it isn't.

Fenor

P.S. -- You would need to get a new motherboard if you wanted to have two video cards, because only motherboards with two PCIe slots can have two video cards put in them. It is impossible for a motherboard to have two AGP slots and therefore two AGP video cards can never be put into the same motherboard.

Edited by Fenor, 11 September 2006 - 03:37 PM.

xriscarter

xriscarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can you not have one card control the left monitor and one control the right monitor? Then just use the right monitor as the video output?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Can you not have one card control the left monitor and one control the right monitor? Then just use the right monitor as the video output?

You could have 1 regular old pci video card and 1 agp video card on a motherboard. ***(NOT PCI EXPRESS as you do not have PCI EXPRESS ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD)***

I still dont think it will do what you are wanting to do though with 2 seperate things up at the same time on both monitors..

xriscarter

xriscarter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That is a shame......It just does not make since to me though since I can watch 2 dvds at the same time and on the time monitor even...

EDIT:
Let the newbie teach you something.....lol

I just got it to work with only one gfx card.....I just had to change my video output in the media player to "openGL".

Edited by xriscarter, 12 September 2006 - 07:40 AM.