Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet after computer is idle

• Please log in to reply

sesopa

sesopa

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
When my computer is idle for a period of time (aprox. an hour or more), I cannot connect to the internet. I have to reboot then I am able to connect. This happens every time my computer sits idle.

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8200. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Sometimes the internet will randomly stop or be very slow. Don't worry, I think we can do this. I want you to trun all of your computers off. Once that'd done, unplug the power cord to both the router and the modem. Leave them unplugged for about 30 seconds. After that time has passed, restore power only to the router, and let it sit there for about 15 seconds. Next, plug in the modem, and let that sit for about 15 seconds. Now, before we turn the computers on, have a look at your modem and router's check lights. Make sure they look about right. If you don't know what I mean by check lights, or don't know which should be lit up, just skip that step. Proceed to turn on the computers, and see if you get a connection. Good luck :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

When my computer is idle for a period of time (aprox. an hour or more), I cannot connect to the internet. I have to reboot then I am able to connect. This happens every time my computer sits idle.

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8200. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500.

Thanks in advance.

Is this highspeed internet or dialup?

It sounds like it might be a setting set wrong in your network adapter in the properties.

Look for a power management setting under your network card it will more than likely be under the advanced tab in your network card properties. Try to disable any power management options for the network card so that the card wont ever go into idle or turn off on you again.

sesopa

sesopa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the reply.

It is a highspeed connection. The power management option had already been disabled previously. What else do you think it can be?