Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

no desktop icons at start-up after running recommended ewido anyi-malw

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi! i am a newbie that needs help!

the spyware and anti-virus programs that i'm using are the ones that were offered free by my internet service provider. last night, the anti-virus software was able to detect 5 files infected, one of which it cleaned and the other 4 are still infected. it was just not wise of me to copy the names of the malware before i turned off my computer but was able to surf a little about them, which revealed that they're highly destructive.

i surfed the internet to look for help and came across your site which recommended some actions to take if one suspects malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infections. i followed all those except for the first step because of the note that came with it:
CleanUp! - "NOTE: Do NOT run this program if you have XP Professional 64 bit edition. If you're unsure please do not run it!" ----------- and since i am not sure about it, i didn't run it.

I was able to follow through until i finished running the ewido malware. when i rebooted my system back to normal mode, that's when the problem started. the wallpaper still came up and a RUNdll window also did that said it has a problem with something, which showed a filename (again, i didn't copy this! sorry if this gave you a harder time to help me :blink: ). what i can recall is that the filename had a "win32" in it (hope that helps even just a bit). all the desktop icons and taskbar disappeared.

ewido software had quarantined, maybe, an infected file that's responsible for the desktop icons, but, in all honesty, having tried to correct the problem from a position of ignorance may have made the problem worse.

please help :whistling: :help: I am able to navigate PC and follow detailed instructions. I just want my PC to work normally. thanks for taking a look at my problem.

note that came with it: "NOTE: DO NOT install more than one antivirus program. They will conflict, and provide less protection, not more."

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,917 posts
  • MVP

Please post a hijackthis log here.