Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shut down

• Please log in to reply

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

DON'T PANIC (written in large friendly letters)

Sorry. I did not intend to scare you and appologise if I have.

I appreciate that you have many "options" to try at the moment so I'll say no more and let you try them.

Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any more assitance then you know where I am.

Best of luck.

Gaz.

Advertisements

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello again Gaz,

No you did not scare me.....I was already scared....lol

My apologies to you if my reply was a little curt, it was not meant to be. I'm just overwhelmed with everything and lacking in PC knowledge and understanding of what things mean makes things difficult for me.

I would be grateful for your help if you have the time and the patience.

Thanks again

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

No problem at all. After all thats what we are here for-to help!

Where would you feel comfortable starting? Big question I know but it is your pc we are dealing with and you doing the button pushing!

May I suggest the silly basic stuff first? Sounds daft but BIG problems often have simple (little) solutions.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello Gaz,

Thanks for your reply and your offer to help me. I would be glad to start at the beginning with the little stuff first. Maybe, just maybe, it is something very simple thats causing this problem.

But, I am away for a few days starting today and will not be back at home until the middle of next week. Possibly Wednesday.

Could I contact you on my return? Or could you leave me some simple stuff to start with ready for when I get back?

I will leave that decision to you.

Thanks again Gaz

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Yeah no problem at all. Just let me know when your back and we can go from there. It will give me time to search for more answers!

Regards,

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

I'm back. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Hope your time away was ok. Unfortunately I have PC problems of my own too so may be slow replying-sorry.

I have found a few things we can try to help you out but may I ask that we try tomorrow to give me time to sort my PC out first-thank you.

In the meantime can you get as much info on your PC as you can. I have what you have posted so far so no need to do that again, but things like your mouse and keyboard, any cards that are fixed in your PC round the back etc. You dont have to get serial numbers just the basic info will be ok.

Right, must go and sort my own......It's taken me an hour to write this!

Talk to you tomorrow sometime.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi there Gaz,

Thanks for your reply and I am so sorry to hear that you have PC problems too.
Hope you get them sorted OK.

I am not sure what is in this machine in the way of hardware names etc., It came already set up.

But I am looking in properties and posting what it says there...hope this is of some use to you.

Mouse: Standard Serial Mouse. Manufacturer: Standard Mouse Types On Port COM1. Device working properly

Keyboard Standard101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboard. Plugged into Keyboard Port. Device is working properly.

Sounds and Audio Devices
LITE-ON LTR-32123S......type: DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. Manufacturer: (standard CD-ROM drives). Location: Location 1 (1) Device is working properly

ATAPl 52X CDROM.........type: DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. Manufactuere (standard CD-ROM drives)

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device. type: Sound, Video and game controllers. Manufacturer: Microsoft. Location: on Intel® 537EP Modem. Device is working properly.

VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) type: Sound, video and game controllers. Manufacturer: VIA Technologies,Inc. Location: PCl bus 0, device 7, function 5. Device is working properly.

Audio Codecs. type: sound, video and game controllers. Manufacturer: (standard system divices) Location: Unknown. Device is working properly.

Legacy Audio Drivers. type: sound,video and game controllers. Manufacturer: (Standard System Devices) Location: Unknown. Device is working properly.

Media Control Devices. type: sound,video and game controllers. Manufacturer: (standard system devices). Location: Unknown. Device is working properly.

Legacy Video Capture Devices ....Same as above

Video Codecs.... Same as above

Printer/Scanner
EPSON Stylus CX3600. On Port: \\.\Usbscan0. Optical resolution: 600x600 DPI

Modem
Modem - Intel® 537EP Modem (COM3) using the following items:
Internet protocol (TCP/IP)
QoS Packet Scheduler
Client for Microsoft networks.

Monitor
Manufacturer: Samsung (standard Monitor types): Location: on NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 Microsoft. Device is working properly

Processor
AMD Athlon™XP Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices. Location: on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System. Device is working properly

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Generic USB Hub. manufacturer: (Generic USB Hub). Location: 0 (Generic USB Hub) Device is working properly.

USB Composite Device. manufacturer: (standard USB Host Controller). Location: 0 (USB MFP). Device is working properly.

USB Printing Support: manufacturer: Microsoft. Location: Location 0. Device is working properly.

USB Root Hub. Manufacturer: (standard USB Host Controller. Location: Location 0. Device is working properly.

USB Root Hub. extactly same as the above one.

VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller. Manufacturer: VIA Technologies. Location: PCI bus 0, device 7, function2. Device is working properly.

VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller. exactly same as above except it is device 7, function3. Device is working properly.

I know this sounds daft....but I have a Kodak Digital Camera installed but this did not show up on the Device Manager?

Hope your problems are all sorted now Gaz. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi lizzie,

First my appologies for not replying yesterday, my PC prob took longer than I thought but ok now, I think!

Thanx for the info you sent, we can go through that later should we need to. So where to start? Am I right in thinking that the problem is when you "turn off" your PC it does but then restarts again immediately? Do you "turn off" or put into "standby"? Have you tried to hibernate? Does it still turn on if you do?

Many questions I know but having the basics of what exactly is being done to create the problem helps in solving it.

Try going into "standby" and "hibernate" and see if you still have the problem. The outcome of this will determine where we start later.

Have fun.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

Thank you for your reply.

Have gone into ''standby'' and ''hibernate''. The settings were ''never''.

Changed the settings in both of them, one at a time, and then closed down pc but on both occasions the pc started automatically again. I have returned both settings to ''never'' again.

I have also removed all hardware, except mouse, keyboard, printer and monitor and the pc still starts automatically.

Look forward to my next steps.

Lizzie

Advertisements

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Well at least we now know where to start! LOL.

Ok try this.
Step 1.

Shutdown your pc as you normally would......when it has, and before it starts again, unplug your mouse! Wait for the pc to reboot.

Step 2.

HOLD DOWN Ctrl AND Alt on your keyboard and THEN PRESS the Del key. This will take you to Windows Task Manager. Release ALL buttons. Now PRESS and release the Alt key on its own. You should now see that the options buttons under the blue bar have an underscore under one letter of their name. We want to Shut Down so press the underscored letter in the Shut Down option ie: 'u'.

Step 3.

You should now have a drop down menu with options to shut down your pc. Hopefully! LOL. Use your cursor, (arrow), keys to highlight Turn Off then press return or enter to Shut Down your pc. You can also press and release the 'u' key-this being the underscored letter in the words Turn off. Either way your pc should turn off.

Now see if your pc restarts again. If it does then your mouse is not to blame.

To replace your mouse use the above method to turn off your pc and re-connect your mouse at the appropriate time.

Don't be scared to unplug the mouse while your pc is fired up either! Although it is not truely plug and pray you can unplug it without any ill effects. This would speed things up by only having to shut down once-ie: unplug mouse, shut down as above, if it doesn't work plug mouse back in and carry on to next stage- but I will leave that up to you, see how brave you are!

That said if we end up back at square one then see if you have any of the following:

LAN card-used for networks and is physically screwed into pc at the back.(This may have a light or two on it and looks like a big square(ish) phone socket!)

Roxio Easy Cd Creator. Check your software for this item. AND/OR
Direct CD 5.0. Also software.

Both of these have been known to cause shutdown problems.

That should do for now I think and lets hope it's just a dodgy mouse!

Any problems or your not sure on something leave it and let me know.

P.S. Have you tried pressing and HOLDING IN the POWER BUTTON on your pc? After five seconds your pc should shut-down. Let me know what happens when you let go of the button!!!! Just remembered that one! LOL. It's a bit of a last resort approach but it does turn off your pc! If you try it, on restarting you will probably get a blue sceen saying that windows was not shut-down properly and it's going to have to go away and think about something over a cup of tea! Let it do it's thing and have its fun. If it asks you to do anything just follow the instructions it gives you, this is NORMAL!

Good Luck and have fun whatever happens.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

I laughed at you saying ''whatever happens have fun''!

This whole thing is a winding road of nightmares and at each turn in the road I get more and more scared. Anyway, below is what I have done and achieved, or not achieved, as you will see.

Did steps 1,2 and 3 but the pc restarted again automatically so I replaced the mouse.

The LAN card-used for networks...........well I didn't do this...was scared of messing inside the Tower. But if you ''insist'' I do it, then I will give it a go.

I ran a ''search'' for Roxio Easy CD Creator and the answer was ''nothing found''.
I ran a ''search'' for Direct CD 5.0. and the answer was ''nothing found''.

I tried pressing in the power button on Tower for 5 seconds and it did turn the pc off. (strange that, cos when I tried it a week or two back it just restared automatically again).

Thanks for all your help Gaz, it is very much appeciated and I hope that your own PC is running ok now.

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

WE MADE PROGRESS!!!! ;)

DIDN'T WE? :tazz:

Did your pc stay off when you let go of the power button? ;)

Please say it did! If so, what did it do when you turned it back on?

BTW don't be scared.

As for the Lan card-I appreciate you may not want to open up your pc and as yet I have not actually asked you to do that. If we need to, I will guide you through what we need to do.

BTW don't be scared.

At the moment I am just trying to find possible causes of your problem, a LAN card is one such item of hardware that may be at fault. (We have already ruled out your mouse!) You DO NOT have to open your pc to find this! Ha Ha! As mentioned before- yes it is physically screwed to your pc but is VISIBLE from the outside!! (Else you can't plug anything into it!)

Have a look at the back of your tower.

Look around where your monitor, keyboard, mouse, phone line...etc plug into the tower. You should see a group of horizontal 'strips', silver in colour, with your bits and bobs plugged into them. Have you a strip with what looks like a big square(ish) socket on it and maybe a small light or two-flashing or steady right next to it?

BTW don't be scared.

If you have, then this is a LAN card! You may not know its there if you have not set up any networks-which looks the case. If you don't have one then, well, that's ok, we can go on and try the next step.

You can also look in the DEVICE MANAGER! (I know you can do this!) LOL. Look for NETWORK ADAPTERS in the list. If you have a card then 'NETWORK ADAPTERS' will be displayed. If not then the NETWORK ADAPTER will not appear in the list. Quite obvious really.

BTW have I said don't be scared?

We don't need to know any details of this card just if you have one or not.

Good news that you have none of the software!
Bad news it's one less thing to try to solve the problem!
Good news you got the pc to turn off!
Bad news you didn't tell me what happened next! Like having the last page ripped out of a good book!

Anyway, have a ganders at the back of your pc, check your device manager, try turning your pc off via the power button again, and let me know what happens.

Don't be scared......we ARE making progress, I think, slowly but surely.

Have fun....etc

Gaz

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi again Lizzie,

Here is a pic (I hope!) of a LAN socket (card) on one of my pc's. Hope it helps you!

Please excuse the dodgy handwriting!

Have Fun....etc.

Gaz.

Attached Thumbnails

• LAN2_text.jpg

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello again Gaz,

Yes, I think we made progress!! :) Thank you.

When I switch the PC off with the Power Button on the Tower it stays off.

When, using the same button, and I switch it back on again the PC starts up normally.

No messages ''saying drive C will be scanned because PC was not shut down correctly'' like I used to get on Win98SE

BTW I'm still scared, but not as much ;)

This LAN card thingy....Ive looked at the back of the Tower and it has lots of silver strips but most of them blank. There is the modem telephone connector at the bottom. Then higher up is the Monitor connector and beside it is a round (with nothing plugged in it) connector....like a plug and play one. All the other silver strips are blank.

I looked in the Device Manager and could not find anything called NETWORK ADAPTERS.

BTW I'm getting less scared by the minute :)

But haven't got to the having fun stage yet!! :)

Thank you for the pic of the back of the PC, it did help me. And the handwriting? Well what can I say? Shakespeare would have been proud of you..lol :)

Just an addition which I found by accident:
[U]POWER OPTIONS PROPERTIES[/U]
UPS Tab - Uninterruptible Power Supply
Status Panel = all text greyed out
Details panel = manufacturer (none)
model: (no text beside this)
Then in panel underneath there is a YELLOW TRIANGLE WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK IN IT with the words ''THE UPS SERVICE IS CURRENTLY STOPPED''

ADVANCED TAB text reads as follows:
When I press the Power button on my PC = Shut Down
When I press the Sleep button on my PC = Stand By

HIBERNATE TAB
Enable Hibernation = box is ticked

Is this information of any use to you? ;)

BTW I am not scared at all now thanks to your patience and ''non techy'' instructions. :tazz:

Thanks again,

Lizzie.