Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shut down

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
just buy the way instead of turning the computer off at the wall socket
press and hold the computer on button for 5 seconds this should turn your computer off each time you need to untill coachwife can sort out your problem

Advertisements

Guest_AWizard_*

Guest_AWizard_*

Hello, wonder if someone could help me please. Last week I had XP Home installed on my PC.  Since I got it home the pc automatically restarts when I shut down.  The repair man said it shut down ok in his workshop so it must be something I'm doing.  He did suggest that it maybe some hardware ive added to the pc. I have a Kodak digital camera, monitor,keyboard, mouse, epson printer/ scanner, plug in 4 way usb port, speakers, I think thats the lot.  I have taken each piece of hardware out, one at a time, and tried shut down but it still starts up automatically. The only piece of hardware I didnt try removing was the mouse cos I didnt know how to work the pc without it!  Sad, but true.  Hope someone maybe able to help me.  Thank you in anticipation..Lizzie :tazz:

View Post

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi guys
Don't want to confuse or go over things already done so it might be best
for Gaz to read 1st.
Have you tried turning off the the auto restart in.
1. Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
2. Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box. If the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hello Peterm,

Thank you for your input.

I did uncheck the automatic restart box sometime ago, and have gone again today to look and it is still unchecked.

Thank you

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

That was my next step! Guess we will skip that one then!

Time to delve into the registry then if you feel confident enough. It's not that bad honest.

Let me know what you think.

This is where the fun starts! :tazz:

Gaz

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

Well I am getting more confident and if you give me easy directions I'll give it a go.

Dont forget....a.....b.....c.....instructions..lol.

Lizzie :tazz:

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
By the way Gaz, you did see my reply of yesterday 27th, didn't you?

The''addition bit'' about pressing the power button = shut down?

Lizzie :tazz:

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Yeah got all your info! ;)

Silly thing was, I replied last night as to our next steps etc.etc. took me ages to write it-it was now this morning, went off to make a cup of tea, came back and closed the page thinking I had posted! :) Nope! So I appologise for that.

Then when I looked again this morning there were some other posts here so left It for a while. :) Right then lets recap (think I have written this before!)

You have made some progress! :)

You have a healthy, fit and well mouse! :)

You do not have any dodgy software! :)

You do not have a LAN card! :)

Your feeling slightly easier about fixing your problem! :) .............. :)

Your pc turns off via the power button! :)

Well that's six plus points for a start! :)

I will skip the next step as I think you have already tried the auto restart thingy as pointed out by peterm earlier. From your reply this seems all OK!

Right make sure you have these items to hand for this next bit cos your gonna need em!

1: Good strong hot cup of tea.
2: Biscuits-make sure they fit the cup or else dunking is off the menu!
3: Large heavy object you can throw at your pc if it goes wrong! VITAL!

Step 1: Take a deep breath!
Step 2: Left click on your start button
Step 3: Left click on 'run' (bottom right hand corner of menu)
Step 4: Type this........'regedit'..........leave out the quote marks!
Step 4a: Click 'OK'.............ooooppps! I know you would have anyway! :)

YOU HAVE NOW OPENED YOUR REGISTRY EDITOR! BE VERY CAREFUL!

You should now have TWO panes to look at. On the left is the list of stuff you can mess around with. On the right is the outcome of you messing around with it!

You should have (If you have not been here before) 'My Computer' top left ?
Under that you may OR MAY NOT have 5 folders begining with 'HKEY'
If you have-good. If not we need to get back to square one.

Each 'HKEY' also has a box next to it. You need to RIGHT CLICK on each of the 5 box's and LEFT CLICK 'COLLAPSE' This will return that section to the start. If you find that 'EXPAND' is all you have then this is already collapsed and you need not do anything.

Right then. You should now have-in the left pane- 'My Computer' with a box and minus sign and 5 'HKEY' folders with a box and a PLUS sign? :)

We now need to expand one of these 'HKEY' folders but it's easier from now on. HONESTLY! :tazz:

For the next few steps click on the little boxes with plus signs in them and not the folder itself! IMPORTANT! :)

Step 5: LEFT CLICK 'HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE'
Step 6: Drink some tea!
Step 7: Calm down and take another deep breath!
Step 8: LEFT CLICK 'Software'

If you have trouble finding it just RIGHT CLICK the box and COLLAPSE as before then this should make it easier.

Step 9: LEFT CLICK 'Microsoft'
Step 10: LEFT CLICK 'WindowsNT'
Step 11: LEFT CLICK 'Current Version' not too difficult it's the only one! LOL

And now for something completely different! :)

Step 12: LEFT CLICK ON THE FOLDER 'Winlogon' NOT the box with the plus sign!

DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ELSE!

STOP AND DRINK MORE TEA!

You will now see a whole heap of garbage in the right hand pane! (I hope!)

What I need you to do is LOOK ONLY IN THE RIGHT HAND PANE for 'PowerdownAfterShutdown'. It will have a thingy next to it with 'ab' written on it! About 2/3 down.

The text beside it should read REG_SZ and then a number at the end!

Your mission............is to note what that number is and LET ME KNOW!

Once you have got this you can CLOSE this WHOLE WINDOW in the usual manner-ie: the cross in the top right hand corner. This will get rid of the registry editor and you may breath out! Closing this should leave it 'as is' so should we need to come back to it later, no more left click left click etc......

We shall leave it at that for now cos I need a pint!

Let me know that number and then we can try plan 47G rev. 672! When the real fun begins! Better arm yourself with more biscuits for that one too! ;)

Talk to ya later when I may see two screens! LOL

Have fun. Don't forget IF YOUR NOT SURE LEAVE IT! And we will come back to it!

Bye for now.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

No need fpr aplolgies.

And forget the tea and biscuits............after reading the next steps I went straight for the Gin bottle!! :tazz:

have printed the instructions you sent.. so will go read and inwardly digest them.

Will be back in touch with you soon.

Lizzie

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi again Gaz,

Well I have to tell you I failed at the first hurdle so I'm hoping I havent done any damage. :tazz:

This is what happened:

I opened the folder HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT by mistake. And the panel on the right now has the following in it:

ab (default) REG_Z (value not set)

Anyway I carried on with your instructions and got to ''Power after shut down'' and the number at the end is......0

Will await further instructions. Hope you enjoyed your pint. I'm off for that Gin! ;)

Lizzie

Advertisements

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
ERRRRRR..........................

YOU DID WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *?*! B****Y H**L! ;) ;)

I SAID BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's no where near!

Well that's it then....................I'm off for another pint! Crack open another bottle of Gordons!

Only kidding, that's ok. You got there in the end didn't you?

Not as scary as at looks is it? You didn't click on anything did you?

As I have said before you do NEED to be VERY CAREFUL whilst in the registry! I can't stress that enough! Don't go there armed with a bottle!...although you could throw it at the pc when it goes wrong! Nah! Drink it instead!

Well the outcome of that little exercise was to see what your pc does on shutdown. Your value of 0 SHOULD mean that it REBOOTS! A value of 1 SHOULD mean that it shuts down! Can you see where this is going? :tazz:

Now...........my own pc has the same value.....0.......and shuts down no problem. This I know is useless to you and you don't want to know.....but, not all pc's are the same, so maybe if we change your 0 to a 1 it may, and I stress MAY help. :)

So how, I hear you say,(from the bottom of a nearly empty Gin bottle!), do we do that?

Well, I say,(from the bottom of an empty pint glass!), Its like this. You have already opened up the registry editor, right? So open it again, (start-run-regedit-etc....),and hopefully it will return from where you left it-ie: with the 'Winlogon' FOLDER open and lots of garbage in the right hand pane! Yes? Good.

Now for the change the number bit!

Step 1: PLACE YOUR MOUSE CURSOR OVER THE WORDS 'PowerdownAfterShutdown'

Step 2: Drink Gin!

Step 3: RIGHT CLICK

Step 4: LEFT CLICK on 'MODIFY'

Step 5: Drink more Gin!

Step 6: Have a guess!

Step 7: REPEAT STEP 5! As often as neccessary.

Step 8: PRESS THE NUMBER '1' ON YOUR KEYBOARD

Step 9: LEFT CLICK 'OK'

Step 10: Finish rest of Gin! You have just edited your registry!

If your not too pi...........drunk, by now you should see that the '0' is now a '1'.

CLOSE THE WINDOW BY LEFT CLICKING ON THE CROSS TOP RIGHT! There is no need to save this change as it happens when you close the window. This is why we need to BE CAREFUL!

Try turning your pc off etc. etc.........and see if this makes any difference.

I guess not but it's worth a try.

I'll be online most of tomorrow (Friday) if you get stuck. (Or even if you don't!) BTW the fun starts after the first bottle!

See ya later and good luck.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

Well I hope you aint dwunk yet cos changing the 0 to 1 didn't work!!

And I have to tell you that having followed each instruction to the letter.......I am now tiddley!!

Are you sure you meant for me to drink that much Gin :tazz: ;)

I have changed the 1 back to a 0. Getting brave aint I? That gin must be working wonders..lol

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Excellent stuff! :tazz: The drinking that is!

Well we are slowly getting rid of possible causes. In my dwunken stupor this morning I did think of one thing before we go further.

Did this happen before you attached your camera? Did you load any software for it? Possibly a cd that came with it? Do you still have the cd ?

If so it is just possible that the software for your camera is trying to update itself and therefor restarting your pc. Just reading your initial post about having xp installed and it was ok then.......just seems to have started after?

It is also possible that your 4 way usb hub is to blame! Do you plug everything into it so it is full or just one or two ports and some on your tower? Just checking your Kodak software now for known problems.

Have a go at swapping your usb connections around. You may get lots of 'found new hardware' pop-ups but thats ok just let it run, and see if you have the Kodak cd! We may need it!

Back soon!

Gaz

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Well Microsoft admit that certain versions of KODAK Picture Transfer Software can cause an error message.

Have you had such a message whilst using this software?

Have a think and get back to me.

I'll keep searching for more idea's! :tazz:

Talk later,

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
here is the story Gaz.
I took my pc and Xreox Work Centre to a guy to see if he could sort out why my Xerox Work Centre wasn't working. He reformatted my drive (which was new in September last year cos the other one crashed). He could not fix my Xerox Work Centre so I purchased an Epsom Printer/Scanner which works fine. he said he could upgrade my pc to XP with a ''pirate'' copy. Which he did. It didn't work so I took it back to him and purchased a ''proper'' copy of XP which he loaded for me.

I also purchased the four hub USB thingy. He said my old modem was no good and replaced it with this one (why he did that I dont know, it worked ok when I took it to him) He also said something in one of those silver bars at the back wasnt working so he removed it ( I used to plug my mic and speakers in there, but not any more cos its a blank silver strip now). I can see your cogs going round saying ''why the [bleep] did she let him do all that''. Well I did cos I thought he was the professional and i was the idiot.

Anyway, I got the pc home and plugged the modem into the telephone socket and a bell like a fire engine went off. Scared the living daylights out of me. I phoned the guy and he said ''oh yes, I know what that is, it's a faulty modem/telephone connection!.
Well I took out the new telephone/modem connector and replaced it with my old one and all was fine.

I then plugged in and loaded all my hardware and loaded some software. when I came to shut down the pc, it just started automatically again. I phoned the guy up again and explained this to him and he said it had shut down ok in his workshop so it must be something I've done or added since I got home. So, I took out the hardware one piece at a time to see if it was stopping the pc shutting down but it still started up automatically each time. I thought the plug and play mouse might be faulty so I dumped that and thats why I have this old USB type one.

As for the Kodak Camera, when I noticed it wasnt listed on device manager I uninstalled it and took out the plug for it from the USB port. And as of this moment in time, it is still uninstalled. I removed the four way USB connector cos I have only the printer plugged in at the moment.
So, all that is connected to the tower at the moment is:
The Epsom Printer/Scanner, my speakers, the mouse, the monitor, and the keyboard.
And I have removed all those one at a time again, and tried to shut down the pc, but with no joy I am afraid.

I have tried to load my Nero Software but that won't work so have e-mailed Nero to ask why it worked on Win98 but not XP. Am awaiting their reply on that one.

It's a sorry b****y story, and I feel a right fool but thats what has happened in the last month.

Now I feel right depressed having related all that lot to you.

Wish it was Gin time..lol

Lizzie