Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shut down

• Please log in to reply

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi again Gaz,

Further to the above message. I cannot remember having any error messages when I loaded the Kodak software but I can reload it again, and need to really cos I want to donwload some pics.
But will wait for your instructions before doing so

I did try the mouse in the other USB (pin socket type) but it wouldn't work in that one. I have switched the printer to the other USB socket which held the camera, so will see what happens when I try to shut down.

Lizzie

Advertisements

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hi again Gaz,

Well having swopped the Printer/Scanner to the USB port where the Kodak Camera was....it still won't shut down. I still have to press the button on the Tower to get it to shut down.

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie,

Errrrrrrrrrrrr.......right...........well...........Errrrr........yeah...........Crack open the Gin! :tazz:

Pirate copies of xp eh? Tut tut! ;)

Well I can see that I'm going to have to think a bit deeper on this one! Just tried loading that Kodak software to see if I can replicate your problem. What camera is it? I mean what model! I DID have a problem with the installation BTW to the fact that the software changed certain properties of xp that would mean that it would not run properly, and asked me to insert my original xp disc to copy back those files it had changed!

Now this may not be the same version you have, and if you can find out what version you do have I will try to replicate your problem here. It sounds like we could be on to something here.......a word of warning to you though....just because you have UNINSTALLED some software does not mean that certain things it changed have been put back as they were before installation!!! So even though you have got rid of the program there could still be rogue files hiding in guess where? Yep! Your registry!

Don't get too down about this, we are making good progress by ruling out the simple things first and working our way up. I know how annoying it is but stick with it and we WILL sort it-I have three pc's all trying to find answers for you, one of them has got to find something! ;)

I will keep on with the software version I have-It's for a Kodak DC120? Is that your camera? Let me know as much as you so I can get as near to it as poss!

If I find anything I will let you know. I shall be here for a while yet-well until I get thirsty anyway :)

See ya soon.

Gaz. P.S. Your modem was probably changed for a v56 which is now the norm!

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi again, only me!

Well two things to report,

Just going through my registry to see if there is any reference to kodak still lurking and yes there is, lots of it! Some of it should be there and some should not!

That said I have just gone back over your post of April 12 9:26

You mention devices with power management option were checked except the modem? Think I read this wrong first time round, go back and find those devices with this option and uncheck ALL OF THEM.Sorry if you have tried this already.

Try shutting your pc down via the start button and see what happens. We may not need to go any further if this cures it!

You can always go back and check them again one by one if it does work!

Going back to my registry now.

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi again Gaz......guess who? ;)

Well I went through all the devices in device manager again and there are only three with a ''power management tab''.

The Modem: This has ''allow the computer to turn of this device to save power'' greyed out

and: ''allow this device to bring the computer out of standby'' ticked.

I unticked the box.

USB Root Hub Properties: There are two of these and they both look the same to me.

they have: ''allow the computer to turn of this device to save power'' ticked

and: allow this device to bring the computer out of standby'' greyed out

I unticked both USB Root Hubs.

I then tried shutting down but the pc started up automatically again.

So I went back to retick the three boxes and found they were still ticked??
But I did untick them I promise you.

The kodak Camera is a DX3215 Zoom Digital Camera. 1.3 megapixel CCD
The Discs I have for it are:
Kodak Picture Software P/N 6B5726 software version 1.3 and
Kodak Easy Share DX3215 Zoom P/N 6B5650 software version 1.0

Hope this is of some help and as the ''Sun is now over the Yardarm'' I'm going for a Gin :tazz:

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
HI Lizzie,

Nice one thanx for the info....I'll get on to that soon.

Strange about the power management thing :tazz:

Will have to check that out on my own pc and see what happens!

Get the Gin down ya and I'll go for a pint and think about it!

Talk to ya later.

Remember HAVE FUN! ;)

Gaz.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Lizzie & Gaz
I know you have nero but have you also got
The Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 or Direct CD 5.0 program installed on your computer.

I Know you looked at the mouse, By chance is it a logitech usb.
Also Gaz what about Lizze's modem? new and problem started
can you find out what type she has. I still think it is best if I run things past you
1st Gaz so as not to get to many conflicting answers. Are you OK with this
Lizze & Gaz
Also was the new modem set to wake in the bios ?

Edited by peterm, 30 April 2005 - 01:58 AM.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hello Gaz and Peterm,

I will leave it to Gaz as to what we should do. But to answer your question about Roxio and CD Creator. I did run a search and it came up ''nothing found'' for both of those names. My nero is not installed because it seems incompatible with XP although it worked ok on WIN 98SE.

The modem is an ''Intel ® 537EP'' attached to COM3.

My previous modem was a Mentor V90 Fax Modem 56 Kbps (and why he changed it I will never know). I have another Mentor V90 modem (but I am not sure if it has been used or not). But it does look new and shiney so maybe it hasn't. I think I came by it when I had the PC originally and had trouble connecting to the Net and the guy who sold me the pc sent me another one. But time fades ones memory, so I am not absolutely sure of those facts.

The bit about the modem being set to wake in BIOS I will have to leave to Gaz. Cos I aint got a clue.

Lizzie

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Is the new modem outside the box or inside.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi again peterm,

The modem is inside the Tower. I just plug the telephone connection into it at the back.

Lizzie

Advertisements

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Lizzie, (or should that be Gordon? -with a twist?) :tazz:

Well it was last month when I last posted so you would think that by now I would have some usefull info for you! Well I have! ;)

Now don't get too excited, put the cap back on the bottle, we're not quite there yet!

So many things have cropped up recently I have kind of lost where we got to, one idea leads to another and to another and I end up side-tracking myself, anyway I will try to explain what I have done and found and some suggestions as to what we can do next. Sorry this may be a bit long-winded, but I've been busy!

As far as your camera software goes,well, according to Mr.Eastmans, (as he likes to call it!) website....Kodak to you and me, your version of the picture transfer thingy do-dah was released BEFORE XP! :)

Now this does not mean that it won't work, and from your posts I gather that it did, but it may have something to do with your shutdown problem. Looking through the two versions I downloaded there IS reference to an UPDATER and not only that but reference to a 'Restart.exe'- which I can only assume does exactly what it say's on the tin?

The website has the latest version of the software you need (I think) and from what I can tell it has bundled the 'Camera connection' and 'Picture Transfer' software into one file- so only one file to download!

Now this is where I need to say about 4 different things all at the same time-but I can't so the next bits are in no particular order and probably won't make any sense, but I'll give it a try!

The last version of the kodak software, although you have uninstalled it, will have left traces here, there and just about anywhere on your pc. This includes registry entries! Yeah I know, not that place again!

Now, if you download the latest version and install it, will it overwrite those entries or just create new ones? This I'm affraid is something we will never know until we have done it, by which time we wont be able to change anything cos it's already installed! Bit of a catch 22 that one!

One thing we could do is to remove all those entries we can find that relate to kodak, in the vain hope that A: it solves your original problem-the main goal, and B: gives us a clean slate to install the new version.

OK so far?

This is all very well and good, but to remove all these entries is going to take time and patience, and at the end of it may not help much with your restart prob. I will recap on all this later- just trying to explain things first so you know whats going on! :)

On the modem front, well where to start! From what you have said before it is possible that this is the cause. I know you have done the power management thing with it - and everything else with that option but it still could be the cause. An easy solution could be to 'DISABLE' those devices that have the power management option, see if that makes a difference, and then 're-enable' each one in turn till your problem comes back. Can't guarantee anything will happen, It's all trial and error I'm afraid. :)

One other thing we can try, and is probably the best to start with, is a restore point! In case you don't know-and I appologise if you do, your pc periodically creates restore points, the point of this being that should you have a problem develop with your pc-and you have!- you can return your pc to the point just before it tried to hang itself! This has the advantage of not changing any of your personal files-so it say's, but will restore settings changed by software installation. This all depends of course if your pc made a restore point prior to you installing the software!

This is turning into an epic-sorry!

Think I'll stop here for a coffee.

So to recap, your options now at this moment in time are:

1. Check for a restore point prior to software installation. Quick and easy. ;)

2: Remove all traces of last kodak installation. Slow, boring and may not change much. :)

3: Download and install latest software, without removing last version.

4: Download and install latest software, after removing last version.

5: Disable your hardware and reinstate one by one-or all if no change to shutdown.

6: Forget the whole thing, sell it and give the money to Mr. Gordon.

There is a number 7 but I'll leave that for when all else fails.

BTW I had no problem with the latest software version from kodak. Not that this helps but there, I said it anyway.

So there you are, in a nutshell. (Or should that be case?) Let me know what you think and we go from there. The restore point is best to try first.

Good luck, see ya soon.

Whatever happens.............................. :)

Gaz.
:) :) :)

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi there Gaz,

The first two words that came into my mind was.............no I can't say those on here. The next two were......Oh Gawd!

But thank you for the time, effort and patience you are putting in on my behalf. It is appreciated.

Having said that I'm off for a paracetamol and a lie down. lol

I've printed ''the book'' off and am now going to read and digest it before I attempt any of the exercises contained therein.

I will leave Gordon - without a twist - don't like foreign bodies in my gin - alone - until I've done what you ask. :tazz:

Will get back to you soon, enjoy your pint ( cos I know you will get thirsty soon).

Lizzie

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
If I can stop laughing, Hi again!

You don't have to do any of that stuff just yet, just have a look and see which route we should take first......I suggest the restore point....should have thought of this a few drinks back!

Don't do anything just yet, it was just to let you know your options. We will go into step by step thermonuclear meltdown when the time comes! :tazz:

Here for a while so let me know when your ready.

Still laughing!

Gaz.

BusyLizzie

BusyLizzie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Gaz,

Well I'm glad you can't stop laffing at me cos ive just gone and cocked everything up. Ive had to come to a friends house to write this little lot on his PC.

Here is what happened:

I took the ''system restore'' back to the 17th March which is the day the guy repaired the machine. And obviosly before he had loaded the modem software. (I picked it up from him on the 18th)

Everything went ok. it switched off on the screen (YIPPEE)

Then my troubles started. I had to reload the software for the modem.
and guess what? It wont load. So I cannot get back on line at the moment and that is why I couldnt come back to you earlier in the day.

Here is the information that came up on the screen when the hardware wizard detected the new modem.

and this is exactly what it said:

Intel ® 537EP Modem has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilise the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future.

Microsoft strongly recommend that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.

I had a look at the modem software disc and it does not have the name Intel on it. It just has Modem Software Kit written on it.

I tried to load the disc but it wouldn't have any of it.

However, there was a window which popped up saying I could ignore the above Microsoft advice and continue with installation anyway.

I tried it but it didnt work either. I have to say at this point that there were so many boxes on screen that I got a bit confused so I will give it another go when I get back home and see if I can load it, albeit not the correct way.

If you reply I will get any info from you from this pc I'm using now. :tazz:

Lizzie

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Lizze & Gaz
Has your friend got a 3.5 floppy(disc that is) or cd burner
go to this site and download this XP driver.
Modem driver
Cheers
peterm