Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fried Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

irish2284

irish2284

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased a MSI nVidia 6600 video card about a year ago (see link below). Ove the past few weeks I have noticed my case becoming hot around the video card slot. I took my side panel off and put a fan near by to blow on the card itself. Last night I went to launch a movie on my computer and the screen kept flickering as if someone was turning the monitor on and off very fast. I eventually had to shut the PC down manually. I tried 3 different movies on 3 different media players. Today when I went online to play a multiplayer game I started getting dramatically fewer FPS (dropping from 100+ to 30 fps). I also started getting random lines (while in game) that I have only seen before when people have tried to overclock their cards and had problems.

While I have run various tests and cleaned out the fan and etc. on the card itself, and have run PCpitstops full test all of which has come back fine. Any ideas?

As I said it is an MSI card and about a year or less old. I dont know what the odds are of them replacing it.

My card is: http://www.tigerdire...e...060&CatId=0

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Sounds like the card needs to be replaced. Will the manufacturer replace it? Contact the manufacturer and find out. It all depends on the terms of the warranty.

Edited by austin_o, 12 September 2006 - 07:28 AM.