Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overclock problem!

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ive overclocked my cpu AMD 64 3200+ venice core from 2.0ghz up to 2.35ghz the FSB is currently at 232, however if i change to 233 and boot im able to get through all boot up checks etc etc but as windows begins to load my pc resets itself, is this a lack of power? ATM i have all voltage on default and the drivers for mobo are the ones i got with the thing, not sure how to update BIOS, my mobo is MSI K8n Neo4.. I want to push my cpu as far as possible even up to 3ghz..

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It sounds like a stability issue, not a power problem. 232 may be as high as you can go with your mobo and maintain stability.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
could be a power problem try raising the voltages of your RAM to start with then see how you go and then if not raise the voltage of the CPU core

but you are not going to get anywhere near 3.0GHz thats a unreasonable idea
if you did want to get anywhere near 3.0Ghz you would have to raise your multiplier to 11 and your FSB would have to be set at 275 and ill tell you now thats not gunna happen :whistling:

if you cant even get the CPU to run faster than 2.35 your not going to get much higher

and that could be because of your motherboard it may be that it doesnt like to be overclocked

can you adjust your CPU multiplier? if so raise your multiplier up one level and lower your FSB that will overclcoke your CPU only and then you can raise your FSB just slightly.

but if your computer is crashing at 232 i dont think you will be able to get much higher

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Defualt voltage is the most likely problem along with tempeature, mobo comes with AI controlled overclodking on the board try using that. Memory timings and voltage could also be the problem as you overclock the northbridge you increase the memory speed by the same and memory often wont go as far as the CPU or northbeidge you should adjust the multiplier to getaround that.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the replys, my multiplyer is locked at x5 (not sure how that works out, fsb 232 X multiplyer 5 :S ) however i can drop it, ive had a play with tha voltages but none of them seem to work :whistling: the only other option i can think of is maybe a BIOS update, however im unsure of how to do this, and no idea as to how easy/complex the task is.. Is it normal for the system to fail to boot into windows at just 1mhz higher on the fsb?

Logitek

Logitek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hy there :help: can someone please help me with something :rofl: ? how can I change my VCORE on my motherboard ( Chaintech 7AIA rev.3 , AMD Duron 800 Mhz OC, 192 SDR RAM 133 Mhz, WD 80 Gb 7200 RPM,Nvidia GeForce 5200 FX with 64 Mb, ASUS CD-RW ) and what OC software do you recommend for my crappy PC who still runs DOOM 3 , FEAR and other new games on minimum stuff . :whistling: ..

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as it could lead to more contact than you intended

Edited by Logitek, 18 December 2006 - 02:27 AM.