Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added Linksys Router Access Point to Roomates Network

• Please log in to reply

Ciscosys411

Ciscosys411

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have added my Linksys router to my friends network. I hooked it up to his 12 Port switch and access to the internet is fine. What I am trying to do now is access his File Server that is running Server 2003. I cannot see any of the other computers on the network. I am not sure if he has to set me up on His Server as a user or I am not on the same network because I installed the Linksys router to the 12 Port switch. I started looking at the tutorials but really couldnt find anything that fit this situation.

Can anyone let me know what my friend has to do in order for me to see his Server 2003 on my XP Home Laptop? I also want to share the use of my printer on the network and have access to the other printers on the network.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a question...why did you connect a router to his switch? instead of just plugging in to his switch? is it for wireless access?

i would ASSUME (can't be sure) that your router is probablly giving your computer(s) a different ip range than what his computers are getting from his router...you'll want to confirm that your machines are able to communicate which usually means that you'll need an ip address within the same range.

we'll need a bit more info than what you've given...like the full hardware setup and what not of both networks...and well any and all info you can give us really