Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer's gone crazy

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,

About 2 months ago, I got a free upgrade from McAfee. No problem, I've been with them for 3 years. Since I got the upgrade my computer has been doing strange things. According to my scans, I'm virus free. All my settings seem to be ok. However... in using their Quick Clean, I hit the shredder thing. Now, I've lost stuff I should not have lost and have things that I trashed ages ago. I also lost my system restore points. I guess I checked one too many boxes. OOPS!!! What I need to know is, how can I restore things back to July, when I only have a restore point for today? I think I really messed up this time. If you can offer any help, I'd be very happy. :whistling:

Thanks, Betsy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD?

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
No, I don't have an XP CD. I don't really want to go back to the original settings. Is there any other way to fix this? Or do I just have to go thru each section manually? Is there a way to chat, or do we have to go back and forth like this? thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would not go back to original settings, the XP CD would be for replacing system files from

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, since i don't have the cd what do i do now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Without the CD and system restore, not much

What specific problems are you having

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'll start off slow here...

Things I had stored in a Paint shop program got put in a totaly off the wall folder and i couldn't find them. I lost other pictures that i can nolonger retrieve. I got pictures back that i trashed over 1 year ago. Just to name a few. Also, the comp seems to be working slower that usual.

I feel like someone has gotten inside this thing besides me. My scan says i'm virus free. I am the only person to be at this computer. I'm getting very frustrated and i find it hard to explain the things that are happening. I'm at my wits end here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Avoid downloading and writing to the drive, if possible

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for your help. I sat and went thru most of my stuff last night and straightened out the mess. I have scanned for viruses thru my McAfee. And I cleaned up with the optimiser thru McAfee also. Got rid of temp internet files and defraged. Things seem to be lk this morning after shutting down and rebooting. I'll keep your suggestions on hand in case there are further problems. I will not use McAfee's super clean up shredder thing ever again.

Thanks again for your help, Betsy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know