Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

direct x 10

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have a question about graphics cards.Im definately not new with computers and im going to be building a new one very soon but with direct x 10 and microsoft vista looming in the near future im hesistant to just start building one.I have a few questions.Do i need a special card to run DX10 or is it in the software with windows vista (what i have been reading)? If so what do you thing the estimated price point , and the release date would be?.Thanks for any help

Advertisements

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Currently, all video cards run with DirectX9.0c compatability. If you wanted to have a video card that is DX10 compatible, you'll have to wait for the video cards to be released (Believe nVidia's architecture is called G80, ATI is R600). I personally would go with a ATI card just because they've worked with Microsoft in developing DirectX or rather developing functional cards, so I'd imagine they would have the head start in the game.

The prices will vary. I'd imagine there would high-end cards that cost the price of current high-end cards, mid-range, and possibly low end. Regardless, even if you bought a "mid-range" DX10 card, it would still be vastly superior to any previous generation of cards.

At least, that is how I understand it to be.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
http://www.geekstogo...s...=129051&hl=

i was in exactly the same position as you
I decided to get a dx9 card because:
1) I wasn't upgrading to vista (vista is the only one that will use dx10)
2) A mid end dx10 card (i reckon) will cost much more than the equivilant dx9 card (because new technologies always cost more)
3)If i was upgrading to vista, it would be a while before games that utilised dx10 would come out

One to two years down the line, i would think about getting a dx10 card for my computer but i don't think it's worth it right now. If you were going to get the most expensive graphics card right now, i would wait and get a dx10 card. But if you're looking for a mid range one, i would get a dx9 card

Scott

p.s. vista runs on dx9 cards

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok thanks guys and if anyone else has more info please feel free to reply.