Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I THINK I SCREWED UP BIG TIME

• Please log in to reply

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
:help:I REALLY NEED HELP! :whistling:

I backed up my registry using regedit from my computer.I then went on my dad's pc and backed up HIS registry using regedit and then tried to backup my dad's registry to my pc. not much changed. the desktop was still the same color and so was everything else. then restarted my computer and then MY MONITOR CHANGED RESOLUTION AND NOW MY COLORS ARE SCREWED UP! (my desktop and program files are ok though) BUT THEN I TRY TO BACKUP MY OLD REGISTRY AND THEN IT SAYS "not all data was successfully written to the registry" because some were in use. HOW DO I FIX THIS?! I SWEAR I WILL NEVER TRY ANY STUFF LIKE THIS AGAIN IF I COULD FIX THE PROBLEM!

IM CRYING HERE!

P.S: The only problem right now is that when i go to "Control Panel" then into "Display" in the Settings tab my colors are stuck at 4 bit and my resolution is stuck at 800x600 but there could be MORE problems! All I know is that if anyone finds out it could be big!

Edited by Cheat_DEcoder, 12 September 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Reboot the computer and as soon as it starts rebooting, tab the F8 key about once a second until a menu appears. Choose SAFE MODE W/ COMMAND PROMPT. Once the command prompt appears type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and system restore should start. Choose a restore point from a time before you did this and let it restore to that date.

Let me know how things are going after doing the system restore.

Fenor

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Sorry I can't login unless im iehter in normal mode or "safe mode with networking" because I run on a network. Amazingly safe mode runs like it should (with color)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then go to Safe Mode w/ Networking, login with your user account and go to START-->RUN and type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and click OK. Then choose the latest restore point that is BEFORE you imported the registry from you Dad's computer.

Fenor

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Crap I dont have adminstrative privileges....I guess im gonna have to tell someone

Edited by Cheat_DEcoder, 12 September 2006 - 09:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you backed up your registry can you double click that one on your PC

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I tried backing it up it still gets the 800x600 resolution and 4 bit colors in normal mode

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Is there a way to undo backing up with my dad's registry in the first place?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try loggin in with the ADMINISTRATOR account when you go to SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING, and then try doing a System Restore.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 September 2006 - 06:12 AM.

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
My dad works from 9-5 and its 8:22 right now so this is gonna be a long wait....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does the administrator account have a password? Click on it when trying to login in safe mode and see if it asks for a password.

Fenor

Cheat_DEcoder

Cheat_DEcoder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
GOD THANK YOU IT WORKS!!!

Edited by Cheat_DEcoder, 13 September 2006 - 05:43 PM.