Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC jumps between wireless networks


  • Please log in to reply

#1
Sierra54

Sierra54

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a WEP secured wireless network set up and 90% of the time it works wonderfully. The other 10% of the time it will switch by itself to a neighbor's unsecured wireless network. How can I keep my pc from "stealing" their signal? :whistling:
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Pseudopath

Pseudopath

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi Sierra54,

Tell your neighbour (assuming you know who it is, or can work it out) that their network is unsecure and that they could be paying for someone else to surf the internet... Doing illegal stuff and they would be held responsible! Hopefully they will secure the network then.

- Pseudopath.

Edited by Pseudopath, 13 September 2006 - 11:26 AM.

  • 0

#3
Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have a WEP secured wireless network set up and 90% of the time it works wonderfully. The other 10% of the time it will switch by itself to a neighbor's unsecured wireless network. How can I keep my pc from "stealing" their signal? :whistling:


Tell it not to connect to that router.

If you open the Wireless box, there's an option on the left, "change order of preferred networks". In there, delete your neighbour's SSID.

This happens because Windows has tried to connect to this network before and therefore assumes you always want to connect to it.
  • 0

#4
Sierra54

Sierra54

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for the assistance. :whistling:
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP