Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe - application error; spontaneous rebooting.

• Please log in to reply

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Attached.

(just plain "memtest" is the read test, didn't realize there were more till afterward.

Attached Files

Edited by taifunbrowser, 13 September 2006 - 06:05 PM.

Advertisements

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:whistling:* ^ noones downloading the memtests O.o

and it just rebooted again...

grrr is it possible to fix this tonight?

Edited by taifunbrowser, 13 September 2006 - 06:13 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well it seems you have some serious issues one problem after another gonna get some big guns for this

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 September 2006 - 09:30 PM.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
O.O

errrr

lawl. gogogogogogo with speed of great justice.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
be patient well get it fixed do you have xp cd handy in case you might need it

ive asked for some assistant so how long he takes we just have to wait

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

do you have xp cd handy in case you might need it

No, in fact, I do not.

(hence the "freaking out".)

Errr, I do have an external hard drive however, with > 50 gig of space, I could backup entire internal disk, (but it all comes down to needing the win xp disk, which i do not have.)

EDIT^2: OMG THANK YOU GEEKY FORUMS.

I have been looking for my win xp disk for over a year now. I turn around, it is in my cd tower. It is unlabeled (blank cover).

I must have passed this 10 times. It was simply by a lucky whim I thought "what could this be" right now, at this very time, and it is the win xp disk.

NOW GO! HAVE YOUR WAY WITH MY COMPUTER!

Kk thx. *stares at screen for replies*

EDit^3: err, tried to install asian language supoort (one of the reasons i've been looking for the win xp disk) and it says cant find files on disk O.o

but i right click > properties the disk, and it clearly says "Windows Xp Operating System" in a description tag.

Grr.... maybe its just 1/2 the operating system? *looks for an identical disk*

edit^4: restarted again 2x.

Edited by taifunbrowser, 13 September 2006 - 07:36 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Go start ...run.. msconfig ...ok at the start up tab disable all BUT keep your antivirus running and any other security you have then ok

after you restart go run again type i sfc scannow

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ERghh....

system config opens, I dont see a disable button... unless I go to the other tabs, but that means i'm disabling processes one by one ....

Errr, should I say: "disable all" on the other tabs? I see that button...

Edited by taifunbrowser, 13 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ran "sfc scannow", and got a black command line popup for a split second and then dissappeared.

still confused on what to do in msconfig.exe...

WHAT do I disable?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello taifunbrowser!

Looks like you got some "fun" issues here! :blink:

I think I can make your problems go away. But we'll take it one thing at a time. :whistling:

No defrag? Asking for chkdsk? I bet you got a dirty bit. Let's find out, shall we?

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: (This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty or clean)

Let me know what it reports.

Advertisements

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Volume - c: is NOT Dirty

edit: WOOT! tried defrag'ing again, and it let me this time :whistling: (no idea why, it just did.)

Anyway, so yeah... its defrag'ed now, and chkdsk hasnt popped up since yesterday...

we shall see

can we focus on memory access and such? cuz I think i just have too many keylogs/ trojans/ etc.

Edited by taifunbrowser, 14 September 2006 - 05:00 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to all programs ..accessaries..system tools...disc clean up..

put mark in all boxes and run disc clean up

then reboot do a tune up....... http://www.tune-up.com/download/

i have a question what makes you think your infected

after tune up be prepared to get hijack log to see if any other

errors are around.but first do you still show errors if so what

are they i can look them up for you

Edited by rushin1nd, 14 September 2006 - 05:41 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Volume - c: is NOT Dirty

edit: WOOT! tried defrag'ing again, and it let me this time (no idea why, it just did.)

Cool. When a drive is dirty, the way to fix it is with chkdsk. The thing is, you have to run chkdsk in a special way to fix it. Which fixes defragment too. Looks like you did that, whether accidentally or on purpose, and not realizing it. In any case, that's out of the way.

But why would defrag go out, after having so many chkdsks being run? That's a good question. We might have to check the hard drive, to make sure it is healthy. For now, let's work on your problems.

Spontanious rebooting could be caused by system errors. If that is the case, you can make it show the error, instead of just rebooting. But you'll have to restart it regardless. At least you'll be able to see why it has to restart. Here's how to do it:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error, either right away or later on when it normally would restart.

When you see it, report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Now, you say:

can we focus on memory access and such? cuz I think i just have too many keylogs/ trojans/ etc.

for that:

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
lawl, It restarted while I was reading this.

kk, unchecked "automatically restart".

now to wait till it happens again.

here you go!

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFC558BF4, 0x00000000, 0x804E9643, 0x00000000)

Edited by taifunbrowser, 14 September 2006 - 05:00 PM.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Was that enough?