Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe - application error; spontaneous rebooting.

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, it was enough, though it looks like it's going to be a tough one.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

I love how "specific" these messages are :whistling: Well...time to start going through the list.

Let's test your RAM, and then we'll get a report from Speed Fan.

RAM testing
Download Stress Prime

After you download it, double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Let me know if that happens.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it will say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

Speed Fan
Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 September 2006 - 09:41 PM.

Advertisements

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wow. stress test ended after like 2 min, my computer beeped for a while till I figured out how to stop it XD

Type: Large, in-place FFTs - stress some RAM Min: 128 Max: 1024 InPlace: Yes Mem: 8 Time: 15
CPU: 1477MHz FSB: 133MHz [134MHz x 11.0 est.]
9/16/2006 6:39 AM Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.
Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4996681213, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 2 minutes 29 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

Attached Files

Edited by taifunbrowser, 16 September 2006 - 05:45 AM.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Speedfan:

edit: oh, and ya, these measurements are wayyy not accurate. (I have an in-bios temp monitor, and it tells me 32.2 when I check...

soo these posts are mainly for the hd stuff? it says performance is high :whistling: (I think...)

edit: Oh, and I think the 3rd fan is actually there and running, I can see it. (see-through panel of tower). 2 fans on the ouside which filter outside air in, those are realllly big (3" x 3") and then there's 1 fan on top of my processor, and it IS Running, my comp just doesnt seem to be able to find it. No biggie, It's there at least.

btw, my comp is not overclocked, MEBBE if I figure this out I'll go in (Soltek motherboards have this overclocking utility where it does it all itself (and then in the end you have a... not very powerful, but its so0mething overclock) (but i'll have to update the bios first since its wayyyy old, and that command doesnt work (new versions supposedly have it))

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedfanSS1.JPG
  • SpeedfanSS2.JPG

Edited by taifunbrowser, 16 September 2006 - 06:00 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Well...thanks to Stress Prime, we now know you have bad RAM, just like that STOP error suggested:

Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM)

So, looks like you'll have to start looking for replacement RAM. If you have more than 1 stick, you'll have to take one out and run the test again. And then put it back and take the other one out and run the test again until you find the one that is defective, unless they all went bad.

And you can pay a visit to Crucial.com and have them scan your computer to see what kind of RAM your computer takes, as well as what your maximum capacity is. You don't have to buy from them, since they seem a little pricy, but you can be absolutely sure you're going to buy the right kind of RAM after you've had your computer analyzed by crucial :whistling:

soo these posts are mainly for the hd stuff? it says performance is high (I think...)

You are correct.

If you want to run an additional test on your RAM, with a different program, let me know. But I think Stress Prime is more accurate than it. Though I know how some people, like myself, always like to have a second opinion before making a decision. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 September 2006 - 07:55 AM.

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Bwahahaha

NEW UPDATE:

ran stresstest on only 256 mb card : O.K.
" on only 1 gig card: O.K. (I placed the 1 gig card in the slot the 256 mb was)
Put back the 256 mb in the slot the 1 gig used to be so its:
slot 1: 1 gig
slot 2: 256 mb
O.K.

^moral of story, apparently for my comp, it wants the bigger / faster / stronger / harder memory card in the first slot.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

apparently for my comp, it wants the bigger / faster / stronger / harder memory card in the first slot.

That's the way it is suppose to be in the first place. All computers should have the bigger stick in the first slot. :whistling:

So how is everything running? Any problems still?

taifunbrowser

taifunbrowser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nope, havent had a reboot since :whistling: