Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Help!

• Please log in to reply

kejman

kejman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am running Windows XP Home SP2 with Norton, Adaware, and Spybot on a Dell Dimension 4100. I found this cord in my room that seemed like a usb to usb cord. I have a usb flash drive that I use frequently so I used that cord as an easier way to plug in my usb flash drive. I've since unplugged it, but since then every time I hit a button on my keyboard, both the mouse and the keyboard freeze up. In the device manager, it gave me "this device cannot start Code 10". After doing some digging up (I hit the resources tab), I figured out what the problem was. The mouse is conflicting with the keyboard.

I fixed the problem with the mouse freezing up by switching to a usb mouse, but the keyboard still doesn't work at all. It still says "this device cannot start" and the lights on the keyboard won't even turn on.

I even tried using a ps/2 to usb adapter to no prevail. I know it is not the keyboards because when they are plugged into other computers they work fine. Right now it just seems like my computer is rejecting any keyboard I put in there
Sooooo......any help?

Advertisements

kejman

kejman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I bought a wireless keyboard just to see if that worked, and it didn't. However, I figured out that it is only the letters and numbers part of the keyboard that doesn't work. Any extra buttons such as "mail" or "calendar" all work fine as well as the function keys. Everything else doesn't work. This tells me that it is not the keyboard and it is not the connection. It is some setting in the computer.

Any help?

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Had a few keyboard problems in the past not exactly like yours however from my experience I find that booting the computer without the keyboard, then shutting down/turning off (depending on your system - some will not boot the compter without a keyboard). Place the keyboard back in and then re-boot can solve some issues.

1. Remove Keyboard from back of pc
2. Boot Up
3. Shut Down/turn off
4. Place Keyboard back in
5. Boot Up

Let me know if any of this has helped, if your computer doesn't boot without a keyboard in, then get past that process and remove once windows has booted.

kejman

kejman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry, but that didn't work...

Any other suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to device manager and remove the keyboard then reboot to see if Windows finds new hardware. Have you tried getting the software from the manufacturers site

kejman

kejman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Go to device manager and remove the keyboard then reboot to see if Windows finds new hardware. Have you tried getting the software from the manufacturers site

View Post

Thanks for your help, but I've tried uninstalling the keyboard and rebooting several times. As far as the software goes, the wireless keyboard I bought came with the software and it didn't work. It's really weird how its only the numbers and letters area of the keyboard, but any other special keys work fine. I can't figure it out.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sometimes you can get updated software from the makers site which has fixed glitches with the original software

kejman

kejman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sometimes you can get updated software from the makers site which has fixed glitches with the original software

View Post

Well, I doubt it because I've tried 4 different keyboards, but I checked anyway and there was nothing.

Viper56

Viper56

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[COLOR=red] :tazz: I am having the same problem everytime i press a button on my keyboard my keyboard and mouse both freeze but before i press the keyboard the mouse is fine. I have mcaffe and spy subtract, and im a gamer. :mad:

kejman

kejman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I fixed my problem. Try doing a repair install from your windows installation cd. Consult this site for a tutorial on how to do this. If this doesn't fix the problem, then buy one of these from your local computer store and do a repair install again. This fixed my problem.