Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot ping to a web site name

• Please log in to reply

flamartine

flamartine

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have uninstalled (I think) Norton anti-virus 2001. I cannot view web pages via my web browser (Internet Explorer 6.0) I cannot ping a web site - e.g. www.apple.com (no response) - I can ping an IP address and get a response. I have disables Windows firewall - need your help!
P.S. - My dialup email does connect to the ISP email servers and downloads my email.

flamartine :whistling:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
This problem started immediately after removing NAV 01? Did you replace your AV software with any other AV? If you can ping and get email, you are online, so something is wrong with IE. (I get paid big bucks for coming up with lame conclusions!) Let's start simple- have you cleared your temp files and rebooted?
Johanna

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Open up your network connections, right click the connection and choose "Repair". That should clear the routing tables and assign you an IP.

Your DNS is obviously not resolving if you can ping an IP but no DNS name.

Either your routing table is hosed up, your provider has an issue with their DNS servers at the moment, or your firewwall is blocking the traffic.