Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU question

• Please log in to reply

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I noticed my CPU is running at 100% and I wondered if this is normal for a DSL connection. My computer is clear and when it seemed to be running slow was when the CPU was at a lower percent (a couple of days ago). Not sure if this is a cause for concern. Everything seems to be fine otherwise...just concerned..I noticed this when I had to do a ctrl, alt, delete on a site that wasn't working right...appreciate any suggestions...what exactly is CPU anyways?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
CPU = Central Processing Unit.

In other words, it's the brain of your computer.

100% CPU is normal in certain situations. If it stays at 100% for a long time, then we've got a problem.

Let me know if you have this problem, and if you do, when does it occur, and are you able to replicate it at will?

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I don't know what you mean by replicate it. All I can say is my computer is very quick and responsive so I don't have a problem there it's just when I went to close a non-responsive site this morning I noticed it was at 100% most of the time. It would go to 75% if I shut something down but would shoot back up.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

I don't know what you mean by replicate it.

What I mean by that is "cause it to happen again"

it was at 100% most of the time. It would go to 75% if I shut something down but would shoot back up.

If your CPU is staying at 100% for longer than a minute, and you aren't doing anything intense, such as a deep scan, then you might have a problem.

When it is at 100%, look in the processes tab (after pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL) and look in the CPU column. Let me know what is using almost 100. It may be nothing, since you said your computer is quick and responsive, but I'd like to make sure of that. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 10:33 AM.

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
There is only two items using any CPU's at all tea timer is at 02 and sgbhp.exe is 98-99. I don't know what that item is...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
sgbhp.exe is a part of SpyWareGuard, Spyware Blaster Internet security tool which protects your surfing experience from personal intrusion, and in some cases, trojans.

It should not be staying that high. I think it may have become corrupt. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove it and then reinstall it.

To get to it: go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs

Reboot after reinstalling and let me know if it is still taking up that much CPU. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Well I discovered it was my spyguard acting up. Maybe it's conflicting with the other spy programs I have. I exited it and CPU is back to normal. Then I opened it again and it went back up to 100% and also gave me the notice that google had changed my seach browser. I ignored it and closed it and saw my explorer bar was fine. So what do you suggest I do? Keep it from running and just use it manually? For some reason there is a conflict between google's browser trying to install and just not letting it run. I also have NAV 2006,spybot, spyware blaster and Kerio firewall on my taskbar..

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Personally, I've tried SpyGuard too, and it acted up for me too. I'd get rid of it by using Add or Remove Programs, which is found in the Control Panel.

Replace it with Win Patrol

It does virtually the same thing. Monitors your system for changes and all that good stuff. It's never given me any problems.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Rats I already uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted and sg is back working again with the cpu at normal range again. I installed the sg this year by another one of your assistants. Win Patrol was not mentioned at that time but now I know...so for now I might just watch and see if there is a conflict again. Thanks so much for your excellent assistance...and very quick I might add!!!!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

Rats I already uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted and sg is back working again with the cpu at normal range again.

Cool. :whistling:

I installed the sg this year by another one of your assistants. Win Patrol was not mentioned at that time but now I know...so for now I might just watch and see if there is a conflict again.

There's nothing wrong with SG itself, it looks like it just has some compatability issues, like with my computer (and looks like yours too). But if it doesn't happen again, then cool. :)

If it does, switch to Win Patrol :blink:

Thanks so much for your excellent assistance...

You're welcome!

and very quick I might add!!!!

Ya posted at the right time :help: from around 10-2, Mon - Fri, I'm usually online, and looking for new posts. Though I'm not online during that whole period of time :woot:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 11:52 AM.