Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet won't show pages

• Please log in to reply

premo

premo

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
yesterday, i decided to rearrange my room and had to disconnect my internet connection from my computer and hub. when i hooked everything back up, the internet would not bring up any websites, but would leave a message in the browser, saying "192.168.1.5 is managing this device." i tried to remedy the problem in multiple ways but i can't seem to fix it. also the cable modem shows teh connection to be active, so i am really confused by this. someone please offer some support.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If you have XP have you tried to do the repair on the internet connection? If not:

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network Connections

Right click the active connection and choose "Repair"

You should get messages stating it is clearing certain cache funtions and it will renew your IP address.

At this point open a command line and verify you have a valid IP address (ipconfig /all)

Thats where I would start.

premo

premo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

If you have XP have you tried to do the repair on the internet connection? If not:

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network Connections

Right click the active connection and choose "Repair"

You should get messages stating it is clearing certain cache funtions and it will renew your IP address.

At this point open a command line and verify you have a valid IP address (ipconfig /all)

Thats where I would start.

i tried repairing the connection, but that did not solve the problem, thanks for offering help though.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Is your internet connection (modem) in your room? Is this a LAN connection through a school provided internet connection? Are you connected through a router? Are you networked to any other computers?

Also, have you checked your system for any spyware or browser hijackers?

How about installing Firefox and seeing if you get the same error?

premo

premo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Is your internet connection (modem) in your room? Is this a LAN connection through a school provided internet connection? Are you connected through a router? Are you networked to any other computers?

Also, have you checked your system for any spyware or browser hijackers?

How about installing Firefox and seeing if you get the same error?

first, i am using a computer lab to use this message board.

the connection to the internet at my house is through time warner cable modem. there is also a router in my room that runs to three other computers so they can access internet too. all computers are getting the message in the brower, firefox included. i checked to see if everything was hooked up correctly, and it was. i dont think spyware or something like that is the cause because the internet connection was working fine a short time before i disconnected it.

premo

premo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
one more thing, one of my roomates just updated windows xp with online updates, which i have not done yet. i dont think this matters but i guess it is worth mentioning.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
have you disconnected all systems from the router and just connected one to see if you can get a connection?

If that doesn't work try disconnecting everything, including the router, and connecting ONE computer directly to the cable modem and see if you can pull an IP and reach the internet.

If you CAN'T I would suggest calling the cable company.

If you CAN then something could be amiss with the router.

First step would be to disconnect everyone from the router and connect one system, reboot the system and see if that fixes the problem. If not you might try writing down your settings and resetting the router, then restarting the PC again.

The big thing is to disconnect everyone else so the problem can be isolated.

If those don't work there could possibly be something malfunctioning with the router.