Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

icka

icka

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone :-D

I put together my frist computer a few months ago. it was working properly and doing well until one morning my stupid cats woke me up. they were playing by my computer and all of a sudden it went off. My initial thought because of the lights on the back and as per my motherboard manuel was that it was the cpu. so far i have replaced the motherboard, the cpu and the graphics card. the computer lights turn on and the fans work but the screen still shows up blank. obviously i have tried different monitors. what else could be causing this problem?

Edited by icka, 13 September 2006 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

icka

icka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i disconnected everything but the power supply, motherboard, cpu and graphics card. i still get absolutely nothing.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well considering the other things you have tried and assuming you replaced those parts with good ones.... I'd say either a short ( ie remove from case and try ) or power supply... is this a name brand computer? if so many use nortoriously underpowered supplies to save money......

-- edit --

Oh and my next look would be at the memory...

Edited by shard92, 13 September 2006 - 11:26 AM.

icka

icka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok but the lights and fan wouldnt go on if it was the power supply?

also if it was the memory when i take the memory out it should boot up to bios.. no?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

also if it was the memory when i take the memory out it should boot up to bios.. no?

incorrect on both counts.... if the power supply is completely dead then yes... IF it is just not providing the right power or is not providing steady power then you can get fans but no boot.... if it is not providing enough power to power the whole computer you could also get the results you are talking about....

If you take all the memory out then no the computer will not boot but most will beep telling you there is no memory... if no beeps with no memory then either 1) you don't have a speaker/buzzer hooked up 2) the board is an odd one that doesn't beep under those circumstances 3) the motherboard and/or cpu is dead....

in the last case it is usually the board not the cpu...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

incorrect on both counts.... if the power supply is completely dead then yes... IF it is just not providing the right power or is not providing steady power then you can get fans but no boot.... if it is not providing enough power to power the whole computer you could also get the results you are talking about....

If you take all the memory out then no the computer will not boot but most will beep telling you there is no memory... if no beeps with no memory then either 1) you don't have a speaker/buzzer hooked up 2) the board is an odd one that doesn't beep under those circumstances 3) the motherboard and/or cpu is dead....

in the last case it is usually the board not the cpu...

one last thought on no beeps without memory... if the Power supply is the problem it might not be getting far enough to beep either..

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sorry for the double post it seem something isn't working too well... it hung when I first posted so I added a thought and reposted

to mods please remove the first of the double posts.... thanks

icka

icka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
im going to switch the power supply and ill let you know

when i built this computer everyone told me dont cheese on the power supply... so i never expected it to be the power supply since i didnt cheese.