Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuous Reboots!

• Please log in to reply

KristanP

KristanP

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling:

My computer reboots constantly! I can't get to start in safe mode, nor will it go from the last known good set-up. Nothing works.

It appears to scroll through some drivers, I see a flash of a blue screen of death (though not enough to read) and then it reboots. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It is a factory installation of XP, and I do not have a boot CD.

I did uninstall Norton Firewall in preparation for installing free firewall software from my ISP, but that was a few days ago. The machine has been turned off until this morning.

I have data back-ups for most of the contents of the hard drive but there are a few critical items that I need that are on that machine.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Is that all the info you got? Try contacting the company who made your machine.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 13 September 2006 - 02:20 PM.

KristanP

KristanP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an HP. I will check.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model computer is it? if you didn't get recovery disks it's probably got a recovery partition (usually accessable by pressing shift f10 during boot)...some of these recovery partitions will give you an option to do a non destructive repair...which will just fix windows and the system files...others only offer a destructive repair...which will wipe the drive back to the way it was when you bought it..

is the "important" stuff that you don't have backups of...data or programs?

KristanP

KristanP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an hp pavillion 771 n.

I will try shift f10. It's data that I don't have backed up. A couple of reports I can't recreate in Quickbooks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you want to be on the safe side...you could pull the hard drive out of the nonworking computer and hook it up as a slave in a working one and pull the data off of it to back it up...then do the recovery

KristanP

KristanP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good suggestion. Thanks!