Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer gone?

• Please log in to reply

Milothicus

Milothicus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
one day, i turned on the computer, and internet explorer wouldn't open. i double click, and all my desktop items and the taskbar disappear for a second, and then all is fine...

on my girlfriend's desktop, the 'my computer' icon disappeared.

on mine, my computer does the same as internet explorer (presumeably because it uses IE to browse files)

I tried a repair installation of windows... nothing.

anyone seen this before? know a solution?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Did you check Add and Remove programs to see if its there

Go to control panel and click on addand remove programs

Milothicus

Milothicus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I didn't.

i'm not at the computer now (it's at home), but IE isn't in the list on my work computer which is working fine.

Internet Explorer is part of Windows and can't be uninstalled, as far as I know...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
For girlfriends ....Go to sart right click on my computer and select [b]SHOW ON DESKTOP

if it disappears again then well look at something else

Milothicus

Milothicus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the problem's bigger than that. Windows key-E does nothing. double clicking on 'my computer' on my desktop does nothing. clicking on 'windows explorer' from the start menu does nothing.

of course, by nothing, i mean that the desktop items and task bar disappear, so all i see is the background, and then they all appear, and no instances of IE or Windows Explorer have been started...

is there an exe file that's internet explorer that i can look for?

Edited by Milothicus, 13 September 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what i mean is if its there you click on it and clik on the support information....then click on microsoft .com then click repair and there should be instruction there what to do

Milothicus

Milothicus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmmm. i'll take a look in about 3 hours when i get home.

as far as i remember, 'my computer' is still on my desktop, but i don't think i was able to do anything at all with it. same result all the time.

Thanks for the suggestion. i'll post back once i've tried this.

luckily i have Opera installed on the computer, so i still have web access...

Edited by Milothicus, 13 September 2006 - 01:19 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does it do this in safe mode

turn computer tap f8 until you safemode commands choose safe mode or safe mode with networking

see if icons and task bar ..start menu show.....

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 September 2006 - 01:22 PM.