Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Network Gaming Problems

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

I have a problem which involves gaming\networks that I initially posted on the gaming forum:

The mod there said I should ask you fine fellows! But I was also wondering, is there anyway to set up two computers wirelessly so that they can play games with out a wireless router. His laptop has wifi and my desktop has a USB wireless adapter? If so it might be easier than trying to deal with this unknown!

Thanks for your help!

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I don't know of any wireless concept to link two computers in this way... Without a router anyway... If you are on campus, I suggest possibly giving your IT people at the campus a call. It could be that they have a few ports that you need access to blocked. Only they can help you through this if that's the issue.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
you could set up an Ad-hoc wireless network between the two computers...assuming that they are within range of each other...an ad-hoc network is basically a computer to computer connection...unfortunately i've never really set such a thing up between two pcs (did set one up between a projector and a laptop the other day which was pretty sweet...) so i can't really give you too many steps here