Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have a Pentium III or IV?

• Please log in to reply

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm looking for a DVD rewriter for my AMD Athlon (m), 1.10 ghz, 512 mb RAM and the one I'm interested in requires a Pentium IV or better. I have no idea whether or not my machine is the equivalent of a IV. Might anyone be able to help this novice :whistling: out?

Also, could anyone recommend a decent DVD rewriter or are such product recommendations allowed on the site? Any and all help is vastly appreciated... Thanks! :blink:

Laurie

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi - try using SIW, You can download it from http://www.gtopala.com/siw.exe and its free, simply click the icon to start the program (No instalation needed) then select the CPU Info icon in the left hand column

I use a Pioneer DVD 111 writer here and never had any problems with burning, the writer previous to this was also a pioneer !, Non of these writers have let me down .

Edited by Saracen, 13 September 2006 - 05:03 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you try right click on my computer and select properties

look under general tab

give the exact model and model number and ill find it for you the information

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, Saracen, for the tip on siw.exe. I just downloaded it and was blown away with all the info it provided me. The CPU is an AMD Athlon ™ XP... which unfortunately still doesn't tell me much :blink: I'm sorry... Maybe I should just assume it's the equivalent of a Pentium III... or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks, Rushin1nd, for your suggestion, but when I looked under Properties,/general tab, all it told me was that it was an AMD Athlon ™ XP... no model or model number.... :whistling: The machine's about 3 or 4 years old, if that helps...

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Sorry I misread your original question ! I thought you was after what chip you had inside. Im unsure on the exact specific equivalent but I would say that it is the equivalant in general to a P4.

Compare google results -> Here

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
look on back of your computer you should see a black patch with your computer info
even configuration number

Edited by rushin1nd, 18 September 2006 - 11:02 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the processor is a Athlon 1.1 G (no XP on it) it is equal to a intel p3, but if it is a Athlon XP at 1.1 ghz it is really a Athlon XP 1700 which is equal to a intel P4.

SRX660

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
You can also use Sisoftware Sandra (Free - a few limitations, but it will be able to solve ur problem)

http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-1

Sisoftware Sandra will benchmark your computer so you can see how fast it is compared with other processors. :whistling: :blink: :help: :)

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, everyone, for all your help! :whistling: Yes, mine is an Athlon XP, 1.1 ghz, so according to the info you just provided me with, SRX660 and Saracen, I actually do have the equivalent of a P4 - which means that I can actually get the DVD writer that I've had my eye on.... the Lite-On Lightscribe SHM 165H6S dual layer dvd +/- rw drive. I've read hardly anything but rave reviews for this model, but the minimum requirement is a P4 machine so I wanted to make sure that's what I had.

Rushin1nd, I looked for the black patch, but couldn't find one - perhaps because my computer was custom-built, not a store-bought one (or maybe I'm just blind...) Thanks for your help, though!

Bobbydoo8, thanks for letting me know about Sisoftware Sandra - someone had told me about it a long time ago and I'd forgotten about it, but now I'll definitely be checking it out.

Thanks again, everyone! Geeks To Go RULES! :blink:

Laurie