Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-install on an OEM XP ?

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
A friend of mine wants to re-install his OS,which is an OEM install of XP pro.

Can it be done ?

He's properly legal as the PC came with XP Pro installed from brand new,but he has no disc as it's OEM.

I can't help him as i have the disc as my XP Pro was bought from MS,but he is legal and it's all paid for.
He passed WGA and gets ALL the updates.

So is there any way he can do a re-install of XP Pro if he's got an OEM install ?

The reason he needs to re-install is it's been running for a few years now,and even though he cleans it out we all know XP gets clogged up with detritus and when my PC gets like that i just do a Fresh re-install.

We all[my friends] do a fresh install if we want a clean PC and i do it every 6 months or so.
I've tried ton's of reg cleaners and many more besides,but it's not a patch on a fresh install IMO.

So is it good news or bad ?
Is there someway or something he needs to do ?

I can't see why he should pay for a new copy of XP,as his PC came with it pre-installed.
Thanks all.
Deanbo :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the PC got the product key sticker on the case?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

A friend of mine wants to re-install his OS,which is an OEM install of XP pro.

Can it be done ?

Yes.

He's properly legal as the PC came with XP Pro installed from brand new,but he has no disc as it's OEM.

I can't help him as i have the disc as my XP Pro was bought from MS,but he is legal and it's all paid for.
He passed WGA and gets ALL the updates.

So is there any way he can do a re-install of XP Pro if he's got an OEM install ?

If you have OEM XP Pro, lend him your CD.
As long as you don't give him your Product Key, he can use the one stuck on the side/bottom/top/back of the case.
OEM keys don't work with Retail/Upgrade keys, therefore if your disk is an upgrade/retail, he can't use it.
Just phone Microsoft up after reinstallation to get it activated.

The reason he needs to re-install is it's been running for a few years now,and even though he cleans it out we all know XP gets clogged up with detritus and when my PC gets like that i just do a Fresh re-install.

We all[my friends] do a fresh install if we want a clean PC and i do it every 6 months or so.
I've tried ton's of reg cleaners and many more besides,but it's not a patch on a fresh install IMO.

If its a branded computer it will usually have its own built-in recovery methods - master CD, hidden partition, etc. This will save the need for any CDs to be used, but these methods usually wipe the drive without asking.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
As Neil quoted ... if you have an OEM version, Windows XP came with your PC then you can give him the CD and he can use his product key. But its useful to search for a CD or a floppy disk supplied by the manufacturer that would re-store your friend's PC to its orgininal state.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks everyone.

That's good news then.
I know what the hologram type key product sticker looks like,and i've seen it on the side of the case too.

He's not great on a PC,and was lost for what to do.

I didn't know you could use someone else's disc[but not my details]to re-install,but it makes sense now you've explained it.
I'm sure he said something about a rescue disc,but as i've got my disc it's not something i've ever seen before.

I can sort it for him now though.
Cheers all. :whistling: :blink:
deanbo.