Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Burner Issues

• Please log in to reply

hikari07

hikari07

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK. Here goes. I've got a Dell (I know, I know, its old and my parents bought it, lol) and when I go to burn CDs with Nero, rarely it'll burn, but most of the time it gives me a "Power Calibration" error. I've tried burning CDs on iTunes, and the built in windows burner, and neither worked. I tried working with Dell, and they gave me some BS trouble shooting steps that I had already tried, like checking for the evil yellow signs in Hardware Manager or updating the driver (We couldn't find one), and they told me I was SOL since my warranty was out. I've also tried changing the settings on both the properties of the burner AND Nero itself, which didn't help, and I've tried different kinds of CDs. No one kind has worked all the time. (I've had multiples out of a spindle of memorex cds work, but of course not always)

So I'm willing to accept that the thing might be fried for burning, but I'd like to know why. Or if any of you have an idea of how to fix it, that would make things SO much better.

Thanks ahead of time for any help any of you provide!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you post teh EXACT error that you're getting?

also
Do start > run > type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that might apply to the burner

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.gidforums.com/t-1805.html give this a read as well

and try cleaning out the drive with some compressed air..i've seen references to the error being caused by dust

hikari07

hikari07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok the exact error is as follows:

4:41:32 PM #20 CDR -1106 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
Power calibration error

I tried the power calibration fix, and it did not work. Still gave me the same error.

I also checked the event viewer, the only errors pertaining to CDs was an error as follows.

The XCP CD Proxy service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I know that I remember reading when you uninstalled the XCP copy protection technology from the infamous "Sony Rootkit" that your CD drive would be disabled. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though, since I uninstalled it using the Sony uninstaller. (Also XCP CD Proxy Properties is showing up on my services list. Theoretically, there should be NOTHING pertaining to XCP left after the install, right?)

Cleaning it with compressed air may prove to be difficult because I'll have to get someone to buy it for me... I'll try that as soon as I can get someone to go and get some. I've been needing too anyways since I never have in the three years or more that we've owned this computer, lol.

Hope this all helps. Thanks! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
let me see if i can get someone a little more experienced with the rootkit to take a look...just in case it has something to do with it...

but...did this problem start right after removing it?

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi hikari07, dsenette asked me to have you try this :

Please create a folder on your C:\ and give it a name (example:HJT)
Download HijackThis 1.99.1© by Merijn
Unzip it in the folder you just created

Download ARIES Rootkit Remover© by Lavasoft

Show Hidden Files :
Click Start
Open My Computer
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
Select the View Tab
Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Click OK

Go to Start, Run, type in services.msc then hit OK
Find and Right click on : (if present)

(do these one at a time)
XCP CD Proxy
Plug and Play Device Manager
and click on Stop

Right click again on service and select Properties
In the middle of the box click the down arrow and select Disable
Select Apply and OK close services

Run ARIES Rootkit Remover
Click the Perform Scan button A confirmation screen is displayed
Check the checkbox on the Confirmation screen and click Proceed
If the tool does not detect ARIES rootkit indicators, a checkmark will appear next to the rootkit indicators
If the tool does detect ARIES rootkit indicators, an X will appear next to the indicators
If the tool detects the ARIES rootkit, click the Clean button
The tool then attempts to deactivate the ARIES rootkit residing in memory to prevent it from running again after reboot
When the tool finishes cleaning, click the Reboot button

Run HiJackThis
Click on "None of the above, just start the program" (if this pops up)
Now, click on the "Config" button (bottom right)
Click on "Misc Tools"
Then click on "Delete an NT Service" a window will pop up
Enter the below item into that field (copy and paste): (if present)

$sys$DRMServer
CD_Proxy

Click ok.

It should pull up information about the service, when it asks if you want to reboot now click YES

Try your software for burning and let us know.

Edited by Linkmaster, 15 September 2006 - 09:49 AM.

hikari07

hikari07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Time for a collective groan. It did not find anything (If it had, I woulda been pissed since I had uninstalled it with Sony's uninstaller.) and the $sys$DRMServer file was not found. I did remove the CD_Proxy file, and the burner still does not work. I get the same error. :whistling: Stupid Dell POS burner. (Or wherever they got it from...)

hikari07

hikari07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
After looking through my services list, I also noticed two other Sony services, Pacsptisvr.exe and Sptisrv.exe. The second after googling it has something to do "possibly" with a video service, but I know of no product, besides XCP, that I have put on my computer from Sony. Dunno if that helps any...

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
lets try one more thing :

Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services
Look for IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
Right click and select Properties
Click on Stop
Click the down arrow next to Startup type: and select Disable
Click Apply then OK

let us know if it works

Edited by Linkmaster, 16 September 2006 - 09:54 AM.

hikari07

hikari07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Still didn't work... :whistling:

Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The Computer Whisperer

• Expert
  • 3,761 posts
  • MVP
Hi hikari07,

I've been asked to step in for a while here.

Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the box below into a new text file. Save it as Options.txt on your Desktop.

RegSearch Options File

[Search]
$sys$
ecddiskproducer
sonybmg
crater
aries

[Exclude]

[Options]
Filter=KVDLUI

Download Registry Search and extract it. Doubleclick the icon to run and click on "Import...". Select the file you created above. Don't pick the one in the same folder, unless you've saved it there. Click "OK" and Registry Search will search the Registry and report what it finds. Post that here.

hikari07

hikari07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I thank you so much for your help, but I won't be able to do that for quite some time since my computer is totally fried. (A couple of the CPU pins got bent and broken off, long story)

So until I can get some new parts to replace the old ones, I won't be able to do anything with it. Sorry, and thanks again for helping me out.

Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The Computer Whisperer

• Expert
  • 3,761 posts
  • MVP
Good luck with the computer,

we'll be here if you need us.