Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux Distros

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
I've been a Windows user for many years and I recently heard about Linux. It seems like an interesting product and I want to make the switch to it. I know there are several distros out there and I'm not sure which is the right for me. The basic uses for my computer is downloading, web browsing, and file storing. I'm not a gamer. I am quite familiar with the Window XP product but i dont mind learning something completely different, i'm not exactly looking for a "newby" product (unless its recommended). I am looking for a Linux product that is similar in preformance with my Windows XP, I'm not looking to downgrade. I would also like a sleek and stylish Linux product (XP is too boring for th sences).
Is there a Linux distro out there that suits my needs?? Can anyone guide me in the right path

:whistling:

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
There are hundreds to choose from that will meet your needs and wants. The thing is to find the one that suits not only your needs but what you like. The best way to start is with Live CD/DVD distributions that require no installation. You can get a since of what LInux is like without committing to a full installation to hard drive.

The first one I tried was Knoppix. It is still one of the best to cut your teeth on in that it has a large package selection already in place to give you an idea of what is available in Linux. As an installation I find it a bit over done for every day use as that most packages are duplicate to give the user a chance to experience the features of each.

One I've recently tested as aLive distro and find quite impressive is PCLinuxOS. I tend to like KDE as desktop windows manager and this distro is beautiful to me. I found it easy to get around in and well laid out. The reviews at other groups are high for this one. I'm planning on making it one of OS's one a test machine I'm setting up for others to use when they come over to bum Internet access on one of my PC.

Others to try include:
Slax 5.x and others based on it (I particularly like one called GoblinX. nice selection of windows managers to try).
SimplyMepis 6.0
Ubuntu 6.06
DSL
OpenSuse Live
ELive (talk about eye candy)

There is plenty to choose from at Distrowatch.

rob roy

rob roy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have used openSuSe live, knoppix, slax and ubuntu live disks when looking at linux, found them all fairly easy to use. another nice little one to get your feet wet with would be Iccaros linux here, a very lite version that doesn't overwhelm with too many options.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I hear Open sue is great

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Ubunt, fedora, and Suse are all great, easy and free try each one for a month.

Edited by Josiah, 30 September 2006 - 07:41 AM.

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Another thing to consider is the community. You'll have questions. The Ubuntu Forum is busy, almost everything has been covered by someone, and they're working on improving the self-help features all the time. Lately they added a "tag" feature that will index posts by some keywords that you pick. That should help folks find their own answers instead of starting new threads.
You didn't mention how you plan to take a look at Linux. If you have a spare PC laying around, I think that's a great way to go. Less scary than dual-booting your main Windows PC!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I cant say ive had too much in the way of problems with dual booting, grub and my weird partition setting was the biggest difficulty but it was easy fixed and only occured on dapper drake ubuntu edgy eft picks up windows fine on install and puts it in the boot options. Dual booting is pretty easy even resizing the partitions is fine although i used partition magic Gparted and Qtparted work ok but were a bit fussier.