Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting Rid of My Documents

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I have tried creating shortcuts directly to control panel but it always brings up My Documents. How do I get rid of the My documents folder and use a direct shortcut?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you mean to say you cant go start>>>>control panel

you can do it this way but i dont think your gonna like it or maybe you will

unless you create a folder put everything in it then name the folder control panel

well here it goes go to your control panel>>click on edit>>select all>> on ay blue file right click>>then click on creat a short cut

your asked if you want create a short cut on desktop click yes

then right click anywhere on the desk top select new

then any where on the desk top left click your mouse holding it drag the cursor until you cover all the icons in blue except your new folder click on any blue icon and drag it directly over the new folder and drop it all the blue icons are inthat folder repeat just incase you missed one or two then right click your folder rename to CONTROL PANEL

if you want to add a little taste to it right click your folder and properties then customize click choose picture and you can put your favourite picture there click ok

to open simply just double click pick the task you want add nremove programs or firewall all your control panel is in there...wheeew hope thats what you want....

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 September 2006 - 10:18 PM.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I'll have to try that. I remember the simple days of WIN98SE. All I had to do was right click on control and I had my shortuct made. XP has lots of annoyances@! Control panel doesn't show from the start menu and isn't in the program list. Windows explorer is also missing in the program list. Some days I really miss 98SE.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
yea lotsa changes with lousy progress

but give that a try maybe were left with those types option with windows xp and such so we explore and customize windows to our fancy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
why do you need to make short cuts to the controll panel items?

if you don't like the xp menu structure you can right click on the task bar (the blue thing at the bottom) and choose properties then go to the start menu tab and tick the box for classic start menu...that will make the start menu look rellatively "normal" i.e. the controll panel will be under settings where it should be..and you can also get to explorer

also two short cuts for getting to explorer (windows explorer) #1 is windows key (button on the keyboard with the windows logo) + e or right click on the start button and choose explore