Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Seagate HDD 54 Reallocated Sectors

• Please log in to reply

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hello

i have a seagate ST3120023A

i have recently began to notice my computer running very slowly.

I have been experiencing very slow startups, unstablility when loaded up and the inablilty to just play songs (keeps jumping etc)

i also recently found out that i have 54 reallocated sectors on my hard drive, and that this could reduce my computer's performance dramatically.

i have ran HDD regenerator on the hard drive but it found nothing!!

Does anyone know of any programs that can fix this?

Thanks
Ry

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If you recently have had 54 sectors reallocated, you might have a serious problem with the disk (aka head crash), so you should make sure that you have a good backup of everything that you want.

The sectors are reallocated when there is a problem with the surface, so you can't undo that without a problem. You could run the Seagate diagnosticprogram and see if everything is working correctly. You could also try defragmenting the disk.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
have done many defragmentations with the following programs:

perfect disk 8
windows disk defragmentor
O&O Defrag Free

have just done a full diagnostic with Seagate's SeaTools boot up utility (before the OS was loaded)
and it found a few bad sectors, i have attached a log that it asked me to save

ry

Attached Files

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I don't see anything which seems to be a problem in the log, although it mentions errors in the filesystems on the partition, but since it runs while the computer is running, that might not be an issue. Have you checked the partitions with chkdsk?

It may not be a disk problem, have you checked your system for spyware, viruses and other nasty things?

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
yeah have checkdisk'ed all the drives (both partitions)

i have done all scans for nasties with the following programs:

AVG AntiVirus
Ewido Anti Spyware
Spybot Search&Destroy
Adaware
CCleaner

But still my system is painfully slow!!
can't even play songs on any audio player (itunes, windows media) they just keep jumping all the way through!

ry

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Have you checked to see if there are any programs running which might affect the system? Is there any process which is taking up a lot of the available CPU time?

If you copy the song to another device, such as a floppy, memory card, CD, does it still have the problem? It could be something other than the disk.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
the only thing that is constantly taking up CPU power is the SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS which uses about 99% and is using 16k of Memory

what do you think the problem is?

when starting up it takes about 5-7 mins, and the windows loading screen is on for a long time

ry

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
but when i click the performance tab it only shows about 0-4% being using when i'm just typing this right now

ry

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Ok, so it sounds like a process is not running to take up CPU time. When you run the audio program, what does the system do? Is there a lot of paging? Have you made sure that all the memory you think should be there is there?

If the disk is having problems, it can cause delays in the system, which is why 54 reallocated sectors is a concern, assuming it is recent and not from the factory.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
it takes ages to run any program, i have noticed when i load up anything it seems to need to access the drive a lot more than it used to. yeah my system runs using about 300mb of memory anyways and is still the same.

the disk has to be over 4-5 years old.

the reallocated sectors have only just happened i believe, as i have not noticed any degrading performance until now

what is next for me now then???

new drive???

ry

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Well, if the 54 reallocated sectors happened recently and the disk is taking a long time to return data, it sounds like it is having to constantly re-try the reads and writes. You could try doing a write test of the whole disk, but I would not trust the disk due to all the recent bad sectors.

I would backup your disk, especially if you want any data from it.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hey
thanks for your help, have just bought a new 250GB SATA Seagate barracuda for £50 the thing flies!!!!!!
have got all my data off the old drive and am now happily using my new one, once again thanks for your help and people like yourself continue to give this forum such a good name!!!
ry

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the nice comments!!!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the nice comments!!!