Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nero not burning after Windows reinstall

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I already posted this to the Hardware section but it probably should have gone here (or maybe Windows 98?).
After battling the about:blank ugliness for a few weeks, I finally decided to reinstall Windows 98 (Version 2). Thanks to plenty of help (from people like you), it went surprisingly well. The only problem is that now my Nero 6.3.1.25, which for years, has worked well with my CreativeCDRW RW8438E burner now won't burn. Nero recognizes the burner and allows me to "Choose Recorder". Everything works fine until I hit the "BURN" or "SIMULATE" command. It says "burn started" but the computer freezes. The mouse still moves but nothing else works. Cntrl-Alt-Del takes me to a black screen and the only way out from there is to kill the power. Help please!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start smart then the word Nero at top, does it say about updates, Nero is on 6.6 now

olamoree

olamoree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just installed 6.6.013 from 6.6.0.8 and now I can't burn CD's either! All goes well until burn, then Nero 'freezes' at either 4% or 11% but doesn't report Not Responding, just stops, and can be killed in Task Manager, but if it does say Not Responding, then only a restart will get out of it. I see this problem all over forums but NO answers..... Any suggestions? Tnx.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for recording settings on the burn screen then tick check drive speed

olamoree

olamoree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
STILL having the problem of Simulate or Burn in Nero 6.6.0.13 "freezing" at various percentages of the progress..... Checked logs etc and not a clue. DLed and Installed Virtual CD 7 for another purpose, but saw that it would do 1:1 burns, so tried it. Yep, stalled at 4% the first time and 89% the second time, BUT at least it gives an error message, unlike the others. The error message: "Write command to device 1:0:0 failed. Unexpected ASPI error o4h 00h 00h". So I checked the ASPI and had 4.71 on all 4 files. DLed and tried 4.71.2 but no joy. Read Radified and seems that there needs to be a mix of 4.6 and 4.71 and even the Nero ASPI wnaspi32.dll v2.0.1.59. I am still playing around with the different combinations recommended.....some say use ONLY Aspi32.sys and wnaspi32.dll 4.71.2 with XP, others say different. There doesn't seem to be any set formula that works with XP (Prow) Will keep at it but meanwhile, would sure appreciate some imput from anybody that has had this problem and resolved it. Maybe even from those who have an ASPI layer installed and just what do you have that works. This problem doesn't seem to be hardware specific but more related to the ASPI layer....or...... Help!......

XP Prow SR1a
Pioneer DVD-116
NEC 3520A

Ali

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nero was updated on the 8th. See if the new version helps, you need packages 1 and 2 for DVD