Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage, applications super slow

• Please log in to reply

m7cast

m7cast

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First off, I just bought a new hard drive (80 GB Samsung IDE HDD 7200 rpm) and RAM. (PQI 512 MB DDR PC3200) since my computer kept on restarting like every five minutes or so.

Now, the computer doesn't restart all right, but now I CANNOT RUN any applications after startup. The CPU Usage is like 100% all the time. However, after waiting for 15 minutes or so, slowly all the applications I clicked pile up one by one at the same time. After that, the computer runs fine again.

Please help! I am running out of options.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks computerwiz. here's my HJT log:

Attached Files

• Attached File  hjt.zip   1.5KB   209 downloads

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything unusual, other than you don't have your Windows up-to-date:

You do not have Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. We will handle this later though, since your current problem might interfere

One possible cause of 100% CPU usage is a corrupt index.dat file(s). So let's give your computer a good cleaning, including the removal of your index.dat files.

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

If you still have 100% CPU usage, do this:

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU

If you can, a screencapture would be useful. You can take a screenshot by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me.

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
this is really weird.

system idle process is taking up 95% of my CPU usage.

help!!!

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
sorry, here's the screenshot:

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.JPG

Josh B

Josh B

• Pip
  • 3 posts
System IDLE process should take up any remainder of unused processor. So 95% is actually good, it says that you are only using 5% of your processor for other processes. On to your problem, if you have a 6800GS graphics card, then I know what your problem is. If not, then I can't assist.

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no, i have a geforce fx 5500. why? is there something wrong with the nvidia 6800gs? or is my videocard affected, too? x_X

help!

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no, i have a geforce fx 5500. why? is there something wrong with the nvidia 6800gs? or is my videocard affected, too? x_X

i have a theory, but i'm not sure if this is valid:

i run a sempron 2400+. AMD's are known to run real hot, right?
could this problem be attributed to, say, overheating?

help!

Josh B

Josh B

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The 6800GS, certain models, have a sensor problem that causes DPC's (Deferred Procedure Calls) that amount to a very high amount of cpu usage. Anyways, I only know of the problem with the 6800GS so I doubt it's related to your problem, it just sounded very similar.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
So how is everything running right now? Still slow? What is the CPU usage?

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i think i am onto something.

my recently bought ram is 512 mb PQI DDR PC3200, while it says in my motherboard manual that it only supports PC2700.

do i have to tweak some settings in my BIOS?
my bios is Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG (according to Everest)

here's the scenario:

when i turn on my pc, all runs fine and good.
however, after about 5 minutes or so after startup, none of the applications i click on open.
(for example, if i double-click winamp, the busy cursor spins for a long time, without the application loading)

so, i wait about 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer, then one by one, all the applications i previously opened/ clicked pile up at the same time.

i'm really just groping in the dak here.

please help!

here are my system specs, if you need them:

AMD Sempron 2400+
ASUS A7V400-MX Slot A motherboard
80 GB Samsung IDE HDD 7200 rpm
Inno3d geForce FX 5500 128 MB DDR
512 MB DDR PC3200 PQI RAM (double-sided)

:whistling:

m7cast

m7cast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
help! anyone?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but we are all volunteers and as such, we like to take a bit of a break now and then to take care of our responsibilities. And then there's that little thing I like to call sleep.

Please be patient, I will not abandon you.

my recently bought ram is 512 mb PQI DDR PC3200, while it says in my motherboard manual that it only supports PC2700.

Why'd you buy RAM that is faster than what your motherboard can handle? That could very well be the entire source of your problems. Put in the old stick of RAM, or if it is already in there, take out the new stick and see how the computer runs like that.

Josh B

Josh B

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Why'd you buy RAM that is faster than what your motherboard can handle? That could very well be the entire source of your problems. Put in the old stick of RAM, or if it is already in there, take out the new stick and see how the computer runs like that.

Hey, I'm a computer technician that builds many computers. It's actually not bad to buy faster memory in almost any situation because it generally has better timings at lower speeds and will work at even much lower frequencies. He may still have bad ram though, it would be a good idea to test it.

Try Downloading Memtest