Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead laptop

• Please log in to reply

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Got a Toshiba Satellite Pro A60, Windows XP Pro.

When I switch it on, the screen comes on for about 5 seconds then goes off again. The whole thing goes off, not just the screen.

It does the same with or without the battery connected to the mains, or just with the battery, so not a battery problem.

The hard drive is OK. I've taken it out and can read all the data on it (by connecting it to another computer, not using a magnifying glass :whistling: ).

I've taken the whole thing apart but can't see anything broken that looks obvious. I powered it up with the screen off, the DVD drive out and just the board and processor getting power. The fans spin up for the 5 seconds then it dies.

Motherboard or processor problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Motherboard or processor problem?

yes....possibly a psu problem as well...or any number of other issues like ram...but i'd say the three most likely culprits are the proc, mobo, and PSU...i'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's not under warranty anymore right?

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Yup.

Are PSU's replaceable on laptops? Can't do memtest as it doesn't stay on long enough.

Time for a new one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure about replacing psu's on LT's...alot of the electrical modulation get's done by the transformer on the powercord...but there is still a PSU in the laptop for power distrobution and the other what-nots that psu's do...i THINK that they're soldered to the board in LT's almost all the time...so i doubt replacement is really an option

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
OK.

Thanks for the replies.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It's possible though not likely that the power board is seperate on that model.... though if you took it apart you would know better if they are all one board or not..... If it's not then you are back to motherboard and on toshi laptops ( unless you can find the same model on ebay) is going to run you in the neighborhood of $300+ US if you can get a replacement at all..