Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Moves My Desktop Icons Around

• Please log in to reply

Flint

Flint

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm not really sure where to post this problem, so I apolgize if in the wrong place.

For some reason or another, when I close my laptop and then open it back up, it's almost as if my resolution had changed while the computer was closed because the icons on my desktop (as well as other things) will have moved when I open the computer back up.

What I start with:
http://img103.images...82/startas7.jpg

What it looks like when I open my laptop back up:
http://img155.images...52/shiftxq4.jpg

This has only started occurring recently, so I don't know what the problem could possibly be.

Any ideas as to how to stop this from happening?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
have you set your laptop for hibernation, standby or screen saver?
my advise first, right click on the desktop and properties, go to the screen saver tab and click on settings next to your screen saver selection.
make sure the resolution matches your normal monitor resolution.
give that a try and lets us know :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Excuse me butting in guys. I don't think it's anything to do with the resolution setting -- the icons look the same size to me on both pics. More likely it's the Desktop "Arrange icons by......" setting (when you right-click on the desktop).

Flint is deselecting "auto arrange" so he can put the icons where he prefers them but, when he reboots, Windows has set it back to "auto arrange" again which puts the icons back to their default positions at the top left. That happens on my laptop too, but not on my workstation PC. Only difference between them is the laptop is running the original XP (no service packs), whereas my workstation is running XP-SP2, though I'm not saying that's relevant here.

Flint, you're not alone but I can't figure out why that setting changes itself either!

Flint

Flint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I appreciate your suggestions guys, but actually I solved the problem myself.

Sometime last week I did a driver update for the laptop's graphics card. In hindsight it was totally pointless, but I was trying to see if I could fix a problem with a game. Anyway, I did a system restore to before I updated my graphics driver, and the problem has stopped.

Silly I know, but I guess this is resolved now. Sorry to bump this thread like this, but I just wanted to let it be known I don't need help with it anymore. :whistling: