Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Partitions?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I bought a new dell with Windows XP Home. It also had the Norton Ghost program in it for backing up the hard drive. The 80gb hard drive C was partitoned. C now has 60gb and the partitoned part D has 20gb to use with norton. I have added a new hard drive to use for the norton ghost back ups. I have now got my recovery points saved to the new hard drive and any new one going to it.. But I don't know how to get rid of the partition so I have the full space of C to use witch is 80gb.

So could some one please help me delete or romove the partitioned part so I have the full use of the org. hard drive?

I will need to be able to print it out and take it home because I don't have internet yet. So if you know please post step by step so I can save it and print.

Thanks

Edited by duley3, 14 September 2006 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could use gparted to resize the partitions...i would suggest using the live cd...

first defrag your c drive and do a disk cleanup just to be sure...then use gparted to resize the c partition to encompas the d p artition as well

http://gparted.sourc...ies/gparted.htm documentation

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Is it a good idea to use it? Or should I just leave the partition the same as they are?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you could use the 20 gig partition as a seperate storage partition...i.e. for data only...that way if windows fails you can just format the c partition and keep all your data safe..

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'm not really understanding how to install and use gpart. I thought I would try it on a different system first. I have read both the links you gave but it's all a little vage.

Have you used this be for? Do I need to have other files frist? Could you help me in using this program a little? and one more, Do I just burn the file to a cd then boot from it?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I'm not really understanding how to install and use gpart. I thought I would try it on a different system first. I have read both the links you gave but it's all a little vage.

Have you used this be for? Do I need to have other files frist? Could you help me in using this program a little? and one more, Do I just burn the file to a cd then boot from it?

Was there too much to tell? or did you forget about me?

Again I running windows XP home edtion. and I want to delete D (20gig) and resize C (Sytem, programs and files 60gig) . Right now I have nothing on D . This was used for a backup location for Norton Ghost.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry...been a little busy...what part of the process did you have an issue with?

http://gparted.sourc...ze/resizing.htm (probably should have given you this link)

what you're basically wanting to end up doing is delete the D partition...then resize the C partition to take it's place

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'm not really understand how to start the program. I have the file saved toa disk. But don't know how to run it. Do I need to put the disk in and restart. I guess I'm not understanding how to install or run the program.

This will be the first time I had to do something like this. I just want to get it right. I don't want to lose anything. I guess you could say I'm a novice in this area.

BTW. I didn't mean to sound rude or pushy (If I did) in the last post.

Thanks for helping...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php go there and download the gparted live cd iso...

once you download that is o we'll need to burn it to a cd in a special way...what cd burning software do you have?

(sorry sometimes i move a little too fast and forget to put all the steps)

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have the file downloaded and saved.

I have just been using the windows writing option (my computer,cd,write these files) I don't have any other burning software on this system. I'm on the system at work.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ech...i don't think that y ou can burn an ISO correctly with windows (probably the problem)

http://www.petri.co....files_to_cd.htm
use the steps for iso recorder

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have nero at home. Can I write the file to a disk here at work and then save it a home to burn it the right way?

If yes, What are the next step after I have the iso burned to a disk the right way? I will need to print these steps and take them home. I don't have internet yet.

Edited by duley3, 20 September 2006 - 08:57 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you surely can....

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for all of your help. I wish I could repay the favor somehow. I will post the out come, or any other question that might run into.

Thanks again

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Wow, That was easy after getting the disk burnt the right way. I used it on my old system first. Just incase something happened. I wanted to get to know the program a little. Worked great on this one. I haven't used it on my new machine yet (no time).

But

I was told that I could use a partition as memory and not storage. Is this possilbe?

If it is I was thing that maybe I would make the D partition maybe 5 gig or some and use it as memory. Right now I have a 512mb card in it. It could use a little help sometimes.

So is this possible?